Wordsmith Talk

About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
For those who believe that decimate can only mean "kill one in ten" idiot means "private person, layman."

T
veteran
veteran
T
Originally Posted By: Faldage
For those who believe that decimate can only mean "kill one in ten" idiot means "private person, layman."

Absolutely.

exempli gratia: Faldage is an idiot!

See? Me and Faldage understand these things.

`

M
addict
addict
M
Originally Posted By: belMarduk
got married in Puerto Rico. One of the prerequists for getting a marriage license was a test that would look for gonorrhea, syphilis, familial relatives, and, wait for it...idiocy.

Idiocy was a "correct" medical/legal term in the past (for example, what is now called Bennett disease was “juvenile amaurotic idiocy"). Syphilitic idiocy was a possible result of syphilis. The 1870 US Census form has a column labelled "Whether deaf and dumb, blind, insane, or idiotic."

Unless there's some non-genetic test for consanguinity, I'd imagine a test to determine "familial relatives" would turn up all sorts of interesting things.

Googling, I can't find that anything that says Puerto Rico currently requires more than a VDRL (syphilis) test. Most states no longer require any blood test at all.

B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
It wasn't that long ago either, only 11 years.

I don't know if it's just un-updated paperwork that is sent to people from out of country.

I know that happens. I got two different customs forms from the government of Canada last year...one in September saying I was allowed to bring back 450$ after being out of the country for 48 hours, and a second form in November claiming I was only allowed to bring in 250$.

When I spoke to the airline person, she said they were finishing off the old forms they had in inventory.

Z
Zed Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Z
The old forms are inaccurate but we want to use them up. Where is the stupid filter on that one?!?

Zed #172449 01/08/08 09:14 PM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
I know, eh.

I was all stressed out because I'd bought too much stuff the second time, and can't lie for beans, so I declared it at the custom's gate, prefacing with the fact that I thought I had seen the maximum at 450$ a few months before.

He told me I was absolutely right, stamp, stamp, and off I went. Phewf!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 442 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith