Wordsmith.org: the magic of words

Wordsmith Talk

About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
OP Offline
Home schooling is an interesting subject. I have known many types of home schooled students; from those that were well educated (I did not say well rounded) to some whose skills appalled even me, a jaded, just-outside-the-inner-city teacher. It all depends on the quality of the education delivered. I would never home school my own kids. I am hardly disciplined enough to make sure my son does his piano practice with any great regularity. There is a certain difference between classroom teaching and home-teaching.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
re (I did not say well rounded)

Oh yes, in our family we agree, TV is crap.. but the kids watch some anyway. watching TV doesn't make you stupid, it make you normal.. same with school.. going to school makes you normal.

you meet others out side of your social set, (richer, poorer, better educated, less educated--those that value the arts, those that value nothing.

in the of best worlds, you learn how to get along with people, and get an education! (in the worst, your cohorts, through peer pressure, bring you down to their level!)

of troy #172338 12/30/07 01:57 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
In the slipstream of considering and treating every child as an individual from a very young age, many useful educational basic helps have disappeared. Such as: mnemonic devices for spelling- conjugation, calculation and important years in national and world history rattled off by the whole class. (those shared incantations were fun) (over 30 kids in three rows).
Singing in class does not survive kindergarten any more (here),
it's considered a waste of time. ( the best shared waste of time
imaginable, but..)

Same chances for all has left us without plummers, bricklayers, carpenters, pavement repairers etc. By the time youngsters, who initially would have chosen a métier(hand-work)are allowed to choose between a hand-work education or the theoretical side, they have becom so bored by (to them) useless theoretical things, that they choose whatever is the easiest way. ( loads of them anyway )

Don't know if this falls under politics or thought sharing.
Let me know if it crossed the line. (or interrupted a steady conversation).

BranShea #172339 12/30/07 03:03 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Oh yes, the silly songs of education. or silly sentences..

HOMES (for the five US great lakes--not in order, (any order!) but it still works!)

My Very Educated Mother Just Sat Upon Noodle Pudding
equals
Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupitor, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune, (Pluto) --the planets in order!

I before E, except after C
or when sounded as A, (as in neighbor or weigh!)

Garrison Kellior (i used to listen regularly now.. not so regularly) used to have 'the department of folk songs" for many of these silly songs that help remember spelling (encyclopedia!) or grammer, or FACTS.

now, the kids don't know the songs, and worse, don't know the facts!

of troy #172340 12/30/07 03:10 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
>>My Very Educated Mother Just Sat Upon Noodle Pudding.<<

Good song! Ah, yes, she just sits on plain Noodles now.

OP Offline
I think you have hit the nail on the head. We are (admonished to be ) focused on State Test scores. The current system is educating no one. Your statement that singing in class goes nowhere beyond Kinder is very accurate. I do music, but must disguise it as English Language Development. Certainly, there is no room for singing in the current climate.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
i went to a parochial school class size was over 60--every year (graduation class in 8th grade was 64!)

Ok, we were all girls (more chatter than antics) and there was the threat of expulsion --not unique, but apparently uncommonly, no corporal punishment (we were mortified, but not manhandled!)

we had:
religion,
english,
poetry (once a week, in addition to english, and we had separate poetry books) we read aloud, and were required to memorize!
SRA, (reading)
controlled reading (2 times a week),
spelling (oh how i hated spelling!)and vocabulary
math,
science,
history,
geography,
civics (once a week)
art(once a week--3 weeks of drawing (making art) and 1 week a month of art appreciation),
music (once a week(again, 3 weeks of song, 1 week of music technicalities--like learning to read music.)
Dance (no gym-once a week)
plus, of course, fire drills (NYC Mandates 1 fire drill every 2 weeks-for schools!) (and even air raid drills!)
and field trips (NYC museums, the zoo, the botanical gardens) at least once a year. (often 2 field trips a year) and once a year trips to the local library (to learn library skills!)

and we got out early (1 hour) once a week--a release time progam (so public school kids could come and get religious education!)

our day was full of learning! lots of subjects! (part of that learning was rote and part was songs (another form of rote!))

nowdays, it is 'social studies' history, geography and civics all rolled into one, and more focus on soft stuff and not on dates and facts

Geography! today's kids don't know it, or how to read a map! and they know less civic too,

and we had state wide test (for reading and math comprehension) once a year..and "regents" exams (state wide test in a subject (like history) that were optional, but all good school opted in.. (so parents could see where kids 'stood' compared to others in the state. (my school always came up in 70th or percentile.. not a top school, but still above the average!)

I see my friends kids, doing lots of busy work ("workbook" stuff) they do pages of this stuff in school and many more pages of this stuff for homework!) the kids are bored by this dull work!
in first grade i was expect to memorize poetry .

i am bright, but i wasn't one of those kid who learned to read early.. (i could read words, but real reading, that i learned in school (and as soon as i could read, i was allowed/encouraged to read real stuff, not "dick and jane" junk!)
(while still in elementary school, i discovered serial novels (crime novels no less!) in the newspaper and started to read them!--(NYDaily news!)

my grandkids are in 'charter schools" and one requirement is heavy parental involvement.. my grand daughter (like my son) is a bit slow in learning to read.. but she loves books, and i suspect any day now (she is in second grade) reading will click, and she'll make up 'lost time' (my son went from not reading to reading above grade level in 8 weeks.. ) but the school is in a quandry.. she is 'failing' (and remember, there is to be no child left behind!)--so all the supposed 'individual education" it all crap.. she need to be "normal" (not herself!)

of troy #172343 12/30/07 05:08 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
yep, the world was perfect before today. kids are all stupid because of schools. amazing that anything gets done.

funny when you think about our world leaders that went through schools when they were so good...

formerly known as etaoin...
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
The fact that the schools were so good does not imply that their heads were. Sadly.

BranShea #172347 12/30/07 06:23 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
alchemy doesn't work any better today than it used to.

formerly known as etaoin...
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 444 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith