Wordsmith Talk

About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#172212 12/20/07 05:15 PM
OP Offline
In my first post (and I mean that quite literally) I asked for (and got) lists of prefixes, suffixes, and roots to be compiled into an exhaustive list. Now, to put them to use! I'd like to put together five lesson components that will include an introduction (to whatever prefix, suffix, root, or combination of those on which I'll be focusing that week) and an assessment at the end of the week. I have the intro and assessment parts figured out.

What I'd like are suggestions as to lesson components that will help the kids: connect the dictionary meaning of the word (or actual everyday usage) with the literal meaning of the root + prefix + suffix, and, become cognizant of and readily recognize the meanings of the more common prefixes, suffixes, and roots.

The lessons need to be quick (20 min. max) and academically vigorous. The school district I work for has mandated a whole bunch of silly curriculum so I have very little time for the useful stuff.

Thanks in advance!

OP Offline
Boy, Bigwig, you look lonely. Mind if I join you?

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Quote:
The lessons need to be quick (20 min. max) and academically vigorous. The school district I work for has mandated a whole bunch of silly curriculum so I have very little time for the useful stuff.

No,Boy, Bigwig, you're not lonely. Only your request might not be on the menue. I've been a teacher part of my life, but I always took it making lessons is part of a teacher's job.(the true vocation). I may be wrong , but I don't think you will find ready-made GOOD lessons on the internet.(Not sure about that though)

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
do you mean taking a word like PHOTO
as in photograph
or photophobic
or photosynthisis
or photo...(what is that work that is used to about plants? not photogenic, (but that's another photo word) but the name of a plant hormone that effects the parts of plants exposed to light?)

and relate them to science? (the tops of plants grow towards the sun, but the roots tend to be photophobic!) or other stuff
like telephoto lenes on cameras, or radiophoto space exploration?

i would suggest something like one lookto search for words. (enter *photo or Photo* and get hundred of words with photo as a root, or prefix or suffix!

OP Offline
Actually, I'm doing almost the reverse. I want to take a word like "unindictable", and have the students: recognize that the word has a prefix, root, and suffix; recognize and remember the meanings of common prefixes and suffixes; and finally, to learn as many new roots as possible.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
have you thought of making up custom 'flash cards? (use a computer, and card stock, and a paper cutter)

side A the prefix/suffix/root (un, dis, ex, ing, ed, tion, etc)
side B a definition of the prefix/suffix/root-- (make up a few sets)

some times a prefix can mean several different things.
take A (amoral) A means Not/lacking (amoral is lacking morals)

but A in arise, awaken, has a totally different meaning!

does ing always make a word into a gerund? (what is a gerund?!)

let the kids try to figure out what the word means (based on the clues the cards provide).

(have some blank cards for root words.. )

you could divide the class into teams. and see which team come up with the right meaning.. each team gets points. (which are worth nothing or worth a 'crown of olive leafs' or something else valueless.)

OP Offline
Sounds like a great idea! I use groups regularly and points are always awarded because they translate into money within the classroom economy. This helps with motivation and management. I have several millionaires (they started in September with 300).

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
my favorite lesson from english was about predicate nomnitive case--(do you remember it? i do!

sing to the tune of yankee doodle:
Be, Seen, Feel, Become, Appear,
Look, Taste, Grow, Sound, Remain, Smell,

Copulative Verbs take Nomative,
Predicate nouns or Adjectives

singing (under my breath!) that list of works, got me through many a state wide test.. (Which Sentence has a predicate noun? --the one with Be, Seen, Feel... would always be my first choice (and usually the right one!))

(and some, (um, lets just say a lot of years!) later, i still know them!

OP Offline
In my district, the mandated curriculum is a mile wide and an inch deep. Nominative, subjunctive, anything-tive case is not allowed, nor required, nor wanted. We are basically told to teach to the state and district mandated tests. I must fight continually to actually educate my students.

Unfortunately, if you were to ask any of my colleagues to give rules to (or even examples of) what nominative case is, they would not be able to even guess. This is a result of dumbed down language instruction, pervasive from elementary through university. I am self taught. Very sad, that.

Last edited by Bigwig Rabbit; 12/29/07 11:22 PM.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I am old enough that i learned parts of speech by being taught to diagram sentences!(mind you, i have some dyslexia, and can't spell for beans, but i know how to find the nominative case!)

I won't go into my feelings about the "no child left behind" (too political!) but it's sad.

i often watch Jay Leno, and its sad (i know they cherry pick the worst respondants) how little history, or general knowledge people have (one example i remember was american history..(something as simple as 'why (and what) do we celebrate on July 4th?)

jay started with the "college student" (he didn't know answer) nor did his 'educated parents" but his grandfather (a man in his late 60's or early 70's,) knew the answer in detail!

my kids got pushed not to just to pass tests, but to learn..
even my daughter was depressed at how little (and how inaccurate ) the stuff she was served up at school was.

i deplore the idea of home schooling, but i understand why some parents are for it--schools are less and less about education, and more and more about lock step information (and regurgation)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 442 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith