About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
is a croger sack like a croker sack?
--which i read somewhere was a crocus sack (but why one would have sacks of crocus(vs tulips or other bulbs) was never explained.

what sort of sack do you think off? a burlap bag?

(that what i think of when i refer to a sack of potatoes, but in reality, even 50lb bags of potatoes are sold in nylon (and tyvec) bags theses day (same with 20lb bags of onions)

and smaller portions (5lb bags) are plastic! but i still say "pick up sack of potatoes, (but would never call a plastic bag a sack!)

T
veteran
veteran
T
You are absolutely right, Helen, that dern tsuwm made me change "croger" sack to "Kroger" sack because he is a word bully.

See?

Word Dectective: The forms "croaker sack" and "croker sack" are both variants of "crocus sack," the coarse burlap bags used to ship crocus. The crocus, known to most of us as a colorful flowering plant, is, more importantly from an economic standpoint, also the source of saffron, an orange-red powder used in flavoring and coloring food. (This saffron differs from "Indian saffron," which is the spice turmeric.) While "croker sack" is primarily heard in the American South today, "croker" as a term for a crocus merchant dates all the way back to 16th century England."

That tsuwm is a mean man.

Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
(1)"No, madam, it was your turn to bully me once -- now it's mine, and I
use it. No, you old catamaran, .*X >^!^0& !@%!*"
William * Makepeace *Thackeray.
(2)The man who can make others laugh secures more votes for a measure than the man who forces them to think. Malcolm De Chazal, writer and painter(1902-1981)(Anu's 2 intuitive quotes of the day. )

Why a catamaran means mostly women in the figurative sense is a riddle to me. Quarrels?All we do is take care of the crocusses.

Quote:
What a wonderful group of folks you are. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and your minds.

I subscribe to Penny's line and would like to have this little one for my earrings.

Last edited by BranShea; 12/26/07 11:11 AM.
BranShea #172309 12/26/07 11:58 PM
journeyman
journeyman
Well, ships are usually referred to as "she", and anyone who has ever sailed knows that certain boats can be cantankerous. As for us women,

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Just getting here after a holiday hiatus with my family; thanks, Branny! I could've gotten the book some time ago: 'twas the autograph I wanted!
And you were right, Ron--it was obvious, once you'd seen 'em all. But I was desperate, yet determined to follow Anu's darned rule about one entry per person...

enthusiast
enthusiast
Howya BranShea

Just spotted yer List. Amazenly that's exactly what I got from Santy. A course, the oul sod never left the receipt so is ya see him ya can tell him that he can have it back.

Be seein ya

GT

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 444 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith