Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#171958 12/08/07 06:50 PM
D
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
D
This really is a question about a word, has nothing to do with politics or religion and my most profuse apologies in advance to anyone who misunderstands

Can anyone suggest a term for autosuggestion of the kind described by William James in Varieties of Religious Experience, calling it "mind-cure"

Something desired by all but achieved by few, it can take a lifetime to achieve though in rare instances can happen in an instant, as with revelation or conversion, a flash. It need not be a religious experience

Thesaurus.com isn't of much help. It may be that the word I'm looking for doesn't exist. However, Jane Doe at a site I'm not sure protocol allows me to mention, "epiphany" is very close and Jane if by chance you also use the present site, thank you again for that. However, if there is a closer one, I need it

The recipient must be susceptible to suggestion; indeed, as with Zen and Islam, it helps if he is open to entertain conflicting ideas. Thus a skeptic is invulnerable

dalehileman
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
a skeptic, in a moment of revelation, is put in mind of thought-terminating cliches.

-joe (but no good will come of that!) friday

D
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
D
Forgive me for bubbling this one back up but I'm still looking for that word

Incidentally speaking of Buddhism, I wonder if anyone familiar with it might not agree that one of Zen's unspoken tenets is that mental health depends upon being able to entertain conflicting ideas

This is especially true in conventional religion, where faith is de facto the ability to believe something having no basis in fact

But getting back to the word I'm seeking, might a successful mind-cure might not also strongly depend on the foregoing ability

dalehileman
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I'm no expert in Zen, but I've always thought that the basic idea that you are interpreting as being able to entertain conflicting ideas is really the notion that ideas are just part of the unreality that our perceptions seem to observe.

D
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
D
Fal, quite so. But isn't the ability to consider reality as unreal exactly the phenomenon covered by the idea of conflicting ideas

dalehileman
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
How about James Henry Leuba's term: psychotherapic cult for the mind-cure movement or New Thought. I think that mind-cure comes under the more general heading of psychoceramics, which field of study encompasseth many. The lay-term for this multitude is crank or kook. Pseudoscientific crackpottery is alive and well mainly thanks to the easy access of the Web.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
D
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
D
zm thank you for those links; you must be a prodigious reader. The beauty of entertaining conflicting ideas, however, doesn't necessarily entail rationalizing any of them

...something like true libertarianism, conservative in fiscal matters but liberal on social isues. Undoubtdly there are conflicts but on the whole I think it's preferable to the usual partisanship

Last edited by dalehileman; 12/25/07 05:50 PM.

dalehileman
T
veteran
veteran
T
Ah, Dalmatian, who cares what you think? Two things: do you need to know all answers because you think that you will soon slip into that absolute goodnight? Or do you have the absolute answer for those of us here who have more time?

I bless your good heart.

addict
addict
>psychoceramics

Ha ha!

D
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
D
Originally Posted By: themilum
Ah, Dalmatian, who cares what you think?

********Gypsy. She is not a Dalmatian but an adopted stray

Two things: do you need to know all answers...

*****I am receptive if you can supply one or two

....because you think that you will soon slip into that absolute goodnight?

**********No doubt I should have departed some time ago as I've done virtually nothing to deserve this longevity at 78 rpm

Or do you have the absolute answer for those of us here who have more time?

*****I truly envy all of you. Especially No. 1 Son at 33 rpm. As the days grow fewer each becomes disproportionally more valuable. Those very few answers I have, I'd be most happy to share at dalehileman@verizon.net

I bless your good heart.

*******Thank you but it won't do me much good because God doesn't believe I exist

***Happy new year

dalehileman
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 444 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith