Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
I
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
I
In Swedish it is common to add definite articles to foreign words or names, e.g. "Louvren" and "Towern" (Tower of London). Amusingly, these "Swedish words" are often believed to be the original word, and hence used in English: "Excuse me, where is Towern?" or "Then we went to see Louvren.". Examples can be seen by googling for the lines

went to see louvren -louvre

or

went to see towern -tower

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Nice to meet someone from Sweden.Your examples form a nice up-to-date illustration of how those build in redundancies can become fixed.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Welcome to the Board, Isak. Your example also illustrates another interesting feature of Swedish (as well of Danish, Faroese, Icelandic, and Norwegian): post-fixed definite articles. Amongst Indo-European languages, a similar grammatical feature occurs in the Balkan language area (or Sprachbund). Albanian, Bulgarian, Macedonian, Romanian, and some others. While the Scandinavian languages all have a close genetic relationship, i.e., Old Norse, the Balkan languages come from three different language groups, i.e., Albanian, Romance, and Slavic, and their common ancestor (Proto-Indo-European) is more remote in time.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I read your Google items. I love the sound of Swedish. And the partial readability for Dutchies. Plus the movies coming from your country. What else ?

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Your points about language are interesting..

Knitters are always commenting on how knitting styles from south eastern europe (from turkey, and eastern european countries) moved up north (via river trade routes) to Norse/swedes/scandinavian countries before moving to north west europe (netherlands) and then to british isles.

Turkish knitting is filled with multi color designs..
in scandianavia, a few of these designs predominate.
in (true) fair isle knitting, the selection of patterns is an even a smaller sub set

--and while fair isle knitting (stictly traditional fair isle) is colorful, it is also strictly limited to using only 2 colors of yarn in any one row.

turkish (and other south east european) knitting traditions often have fewer colors in total, but are more likely to incorporate 3 or more colors in a single row!

North Country mittens (from scandinavia all the way to latvia) tend to mirror the shape of turkish socks..)

but most socks in scandinavia tend to be the european style(from cuff to toe, with europen style heel)--not the turkish style-(toe to cuff, with a turkish heel.)

bits and pieces of style remained intact, (Post fixing definite articles/color patterns) but other pieces (basic language vocabulary/basic styles of knitting) are very different!

One can see relationships, but... there are still many differences.

knitting is just a technology.. and seeing how the technology traveled and how different grammatical features did too, is fascinating.. (it's pretty cool too, they tend to re-enforce each other!)

A
stranger
stranger
A
Quote:
Well, you don't have to hop across languages or travel through time to see
this kind of redundancy in action. We have the ATM machine and VAT tax and
AC current in the English language.

I'm reminded of that most common of redundancies, "the hoi polloi," or "the the many." Ironic.
At the ATM machine, we use our PIN number. We contact the CDC center if we get the HIV virus.
I wonder if it's more the pleasing aural rhythm than anything semantic that's at the root of these patterns? Kind of like a lot of tautologies: "to advocate for," rather than simply "to advocate"?

Cheers

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Languages are full of redundancies. It assures that the message gets through over noisy channels. For instance, nobody complains about three books, where the plural marker is redundant, or that book over there.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Then there are redundancies that are not pleonastic since they carry information that would not be there without the redundancy. Anu mentioned AC current, which might be thought of as redundant because the C stands for current, but without specifying current you could be talking about AC voltage. PIN number is another example since there are possible contexts in which it might not be clear if you really meant that little sharp pointy thing, or even, in some dialects, a writing implement.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
>PIN number is another example since there are possible contexts in which it might not be clear if you really meant that little sharp pointy thing..

sure. you're in the bank, having finally reached the front of a long line, and the teller says, "Enter your PIN now, please," so you jab 'er.

-ron o.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
aw, quit needling him, ron.

formerly known as etaoin...
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 302 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith