Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#17137 01/29/01 08:43 PM
old hand
old hand
In reply to:

I think Helen is refering to melamine, a plastic made from resin, used for outdoor non-breakable plates, bowls etc.

PS I think that we are meant to be in miscellany by now but it is too late to move the whole thread.

Miscellany indeed... and when I interpreted melamine, the next thought to cross my fevered brow was "Qiana". Since we've gotten into the no-man's-land of 50s and 60s composite substances, I figured I might as well bring that one up ~

#17138 01/29/01 08:54 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
What is melmaine? (looked it up its melemine) Very popular in the '50's and '60's. a hard plastic use for dishware... It was pretty much chip proof, hard to break, and a hard surface, so you could cut a steak or something on the plate..(dict. M-W 10th--a resin or plastic made from white crystalline orgain baseC3 H6 N6, with a high melting point)

I think it was a brand name--like tuperware-- but was copied frequently-- It something like "bake-lite" which is a brand name plastic use on pot handles-- it doesn't melt till heated to over 450 degrees (f) so you could start a an omelette in a frypan, and then put the pan in the oven and the handle wouldn't melt. But bake lite only comes in dark colors and melemine (still pronounced "mel Mack") was light in color and in heft. service for 8--45 pieces might weight only 7 or 8 pounds! you could "pop" melemine into a 200 degree oven to keep food warm (or to reheat)

I got some when kids where young--(28 years ago) and still have some left--(some got discarded) very hard to break!

#17139 01/29/01 09:13 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Oh i don't know-- It never occurred to me that Jo wouldn't have closets to hang her clothes in, and if i understand her right, she live in what i call a row house-- or a town house (town house being an upscale row home)-- I know the word terrace-- but its not a way to define a house. and Spart didn't know about cellars-- and Byb has vestibules in his house-- i have a foyer. again, not that i don't know the word-- but never use it in the same sense.

and while McMansion is a local term--other's identified with the large, large ornate house on a small lot that has become all to common in US--

but i think Brownstone are unique to NY (original elegant town houses, with a facade of Brown sand stone. From 15 feet to 30 wide in front-- 4 to 5 floors-- the lowest being about 4 foot below grade) in some ways similar to the terraces that Jo defined--(i think of the "bellamy's" house in the series upstairs/downstairs only brown, not white)) but some have been cut up into 2, 3, 4 or 5 "flats"or apartments-- each one floor of what was original a 1 family house-- and "painted ladies" the elegant ornately painted houses of San Fran. are unique--

we all live in houses-- and many "look" the same-- but what we call them differs. I wonder if Avy would recognize what i call a "bungalow". she would, of course realize its a house, (not an office or a factory) but would she think it looked like what she calls a bungalow?

and I never use "cutlery"-- I use flatware.

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,322
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 453 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,535
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith