Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
A
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
A
wonder if there is a specific name for the crest in the upper lip of a human.
In Indonesian language, we don't have any name for that certain part of the body; but in one native language of ours (sundanese) we call it 'mamaungan'; refers to an old belief that people who don't have such a crest are considered a semi-human that can change their appearance into tigers.

addict
addict
It's called the philtrum.

Philtrum - Wikipedia

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Selamat datang! Ahmad. Anda akam mau menulis Bingley...argh, my former on-line helps for bahasa Indonesia seem to have disappeared. I want to say that you should send a Private Message as a halo to Bingley--dia tinggal Jakarta. (Sorry for the poor quality of my bahasa I.)

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Yes, it is selamat makan. But what does it matter when the food is so good. (and there are so many different 'dialects'? 'languages'?)

I love the tahu telor and the ajam rudjak , not to mention the gadu gadu, the lontong and the sajur lodeh. Ikan Bali or ikan sambal goreng. And all the rest of it.
We don't have a word for the part between nose and mouth at all either, Ahmad.
Philtrum sounds very medical to me.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Philtrum is based on phil(ia) --love --since the spot (just above the lip is the place to put a love potion.. (so when you are kissed, the potion would be transfered.)

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I've also seen the term infranasal depression for philtrum. Alleged words in German Oberlipperinne and Japanese and Chinese 人中 can be found by googling.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
stranger
stranger
Originally Posted By: Ahmad Rizal
an old belief that people who don't have such a crest are considered a semi-human that can change their appearance into tigers.

That's a neat belief. In Judeo-Christian legend, there's a story about how the angel Gabriel forms the philtrum by placing his finger over a baby's lip to quiet them from crying for the first time.

Last edited by Rintrah; 10/29/07 09:03 PM.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted By: zmjezhd
Japanese and Chinese 人中

Person middle?

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Person middle?

Yup. I did find it in one reputable online Japanese-English dictionary Jim Breen's WWWJDIC.

Quote:
人中 【じんちゅう】 (n) (1) in company; among people; (2) philtrum (groove in the upper lip that runs from the bottom of the nose to the lip)

Also, if you search on the hanzi/kanji in Google, you'll find discussions of the word as an anatomical term.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted By: zmjezhd
Oberlipperinne

That's the problem with finding a word for it. I mean philtrum is plain latin.
Quote:
Philtre:love potion," 1587, from M.Fr. philtre (1568), from L. philtrum, from Gk. philtron "love-charm," lit. "to make oneself beloved," from philein "to love" (from philos "loving") + instrumental suffix -tron. Helen!

Oberlipperinne seems a doubtful word as Lippe and lip(D.)only mean lip, those two parts of the mouth where many women put lipstick on. If I would translate this Oberlipperinne to an in Dutch non existing word : bovenlipgleufje people could confuse it with a hare-lip.

Oberlipperinne to: bovenlipbinnenste would mean the inside of the upper lip. That's how I read the German word too.

Or would the German word for that be Oberlipperinnenste?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,316
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 469 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,533
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith