Wordsmith Talk

About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Oh, this is quite a thread! I can knit socks, Helen,Zocks!All my friends were punished with my socks once. And mice! Lots and lots of Mize!I'm sure there is a copyright on patterns, meaning you can copy them but not publish them.Copies,no problem.

Shouldn't that word be publishright then?

M
addict
addict
M
Yes, I have a mental disorder with copy-right since it is the denial of the right to copy - it's the anticopy-unright - the non-author does not have the right to copy or the author has the right to anticopying protection. (It also seems more to do with writing than copying to me.) Copyright also gives rise to copyleft. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyleft

I have a similar problem with perforate. It seems more important that the tiny holes in the paper are made ahead of time (pre-forate) than that the holes go thorough (per-forate), esp considering they often don't go through (or you'd need a microscope to prove it.)

Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Y'all people are very strange.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
No bran shea, you can't photo copy (not with out permission!)
well you can copy for yourself (i often do, so i don't have to carry a whole book around with me, or rip the pages out of the book)

but its not generally acceptable to photo copy (for distribution) a pattern. when you buy a pattern (in a book, in a store, as a pdf download..it's for your personal use. in most cases, you can't donate to a charity auction. (you can donate to charity and you can give away the finished object, but you can't give the FO to a charity to auction off (with out permission)

Libraries (well libraries in US) have library edition of books--these are more expensive than home editions. it is recognized that library edition of a pattern book might have patterns photocopied --(and it's ok to photocopy a reasonable amount of material.. (10% or so) of a library book for personal use..

Just as we have language experts here (and scholars who know can translate latin, german, etc, there are some lawyers who specialize in copyright law who are also knitters.. and there are knitting blog and knitting BB that have whole threads devoted to the details of copyright law (and what is copyrightable (or what is uncopyrightable!)

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I'm a very unobsessed knitter Helen and sometimes I do uncopyrightable things. I've copied the mouse to five friends.I hope the lawyers won't read this.
Any other fairly common word that equals copy/paste: uncopyrightable?

T
veteran
veteran
T
Originally Posted By: BranShea
Any other fairly common word that equals copy/paste: uncopyrightable?

Well, BranShea, in the high circles I travel in the term jungarctosphile is fairly common.

jung-arctos-phile:

jung = Carl Jung
arctos = bear
phile = friend of

jungarctosphile:
Carl Jung's theory that the spontaneous fondness that all of mankind feels towards teddy bears can be found deep within in our collective psyche. (also see WWFTD for arctophile)

(copyrighted 10-10-2007 all rights reserved)

Last edited by themilum; 10/11/07 12:55 AM.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
What's a tingled ?

Edit: see, *I won't pounce upon poor, benited Myridon; but I will accost tsuwm!

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Smatter Milo, lose that © already?

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted By: Jackie
What's a tingled ?

Edit: see, *I won't pounce upon poor, benited Myridon; but I will accost tsuwm!

you frowzy-tingled-humpback

<sigh>
it's the past participle (read adjective) of the verb tingle.

-joe (thou misbegotten sheep-biting moldwarp!) friday

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
! yourself! By putting frowzy-tingled, you are indicating (by MY rules) that frowzy modifies tingled; so I just wondered what it was, is all. [envisioning some cetacean version of a coxcomb e]

Edit: ooh, I just lurve a good argument!

Last edited by Jackie; 10/11/07 12:43 PM.
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,318
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 775 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,535
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith