Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
addict
addict
M
<just a bit of silliness>
In a pedantic nit-picking way, I'm not entirely sure there's such a thing as "fresh" au jus. The sauce as a whole could be freshly prepared, but the main ingredient is a by-product of roasting the beef. Does the freshness of the sauce then depend on whether the beef was fresh or frozen? Can you make fresh au jus from aged beef? And must you freshly grind the pepper, etc, as well?

And to say "French Dip with fresh au jus", does that mean that the sandwich itself is possibly leftover from last week and resurrected from its moldy staleness by the application of some sauce from a newly opened can?

Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
It is not nitpicking, you are perfectly right. I give you the menu-item. (took a picture)
French Dip. A classic sandwich:
Thin sliced roast beef on a french roll accompanied by fresh au jus.

The sliced roast beef was pretty good and the fruit a real good fresh mixture. The "au jus" was pretty artificial but I'm not much of a dipper anyway. You are right, nothing on a menu guarantees how they put things together. But it was good, fresh and what I like 'light', tasty and satisfactory. The perfect lunch.

The next day my son roasted beef on the barbeque which we ate with good bread and had fun saying: "without the with au jus".
No matter how refined, it's hard for any restaurant to beat good home cooking.i.m.o.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I'd've thought that fresh au jus could distinguished from frozen, powdered, or canned. Of course, if their chili con harhar was out of a tin can, all bets're off.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I usually choose french dip with au jus whenever I go out.

formerly known as etaoin...
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
The whole thing was table talk subject. If it's freshly rightly done the au 'juice' should be exactly as fresh as the roast beef, so the "fresh" in that menu line was a laugh anyway.
The whole point was to do it one year after TRmt or maybe it was you Etaoin recommended it.
We went on about French Fries that are called Pommes Frites in France and Chips in England and Patates Frites in Dutch and Frieten in Belgium.
Yes,Myridon, all pretty silly stuff.
Still, it was fine.

Last edited by BranShea; 10/02/07 12:43 PM.
M
addict
addict
M
Originally Posted By: zmjezhd
I'd've thought that fresh au jus could distinguished from frozen, powdered, or canned.

That's freshly-prepared au jus which I specifically mentioned was not what I was talking about. I was being playful with the sense of fresh as in (to make up an example) almondine of fresh green beans where fresh doesn't refer to a quality of the finished dish but the state of the ingredient(s) prior to cooking. Arguably, the juice doesn't even exist before the meat is cooked so you could claim au jus is fresh even if the meat was rancid. Roasted mammoth with fresh au jus - the mammoth has been dead for 10,000 years, but I just made the jus. ^^

N
addict
addict
N
The "au" in "au jus" means "with," giving us very strange constructions when you treat the phrase as a unit, such as "fresh with-juice" and "with-juice is fresh."

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,317
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 583 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,534
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith