Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#170074 09/19/07 12:37 PM
S
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
S
Some coworkers and I were recently discussing the word "haulier" and wondering about it's etymology. It sounds like an odd usage. One who "carries" is a "carrier", and (in the US), one who "hauls" is a "hauler". Using the carry/carrier example, "haulier" should come from "hauly" or something similar. Obviously it doesn't. Similarly, one who "sails" is a "sailor", not a "sailior". "Haulier" is the more common form in the UK, so I assume it's also the older usage. Anyone know where it comes from?

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
haulier is a new one to me..

hauler, yes, but trucker is more common.

and there is also Carter--in NYC metro area, private sanitation companies are carters.

carting is commercial/private garbage removal.

City/county services are garbage men (or nicer, and used by the guys themselves, san men. (from sanitation)).

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
from my Apple dictionary:

haulier |ˈhôlēər|
noun
British term for hauler.

formerly known as etaoin...
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Ok, sahibski--putting your name together with your post, I have decided that you are a Russian Indian living in Britian...

I've not heard the word haulier before, but I'll guess that it's along the same lines as couturier, bombardier, chocolatier, and Premier, etc.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
That makes sense, Jackie. Comes through the French, non?

S
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
S
Thanks Jackie, that was good for a chuckle or two. No, actually I'm just a basic American living in Houston, TX. Sahibski is a nickname a friend of mine came up with many years ago, and I just liked it.

Good points regarding the other similar words. I'm guessing there is a French connection there somewhere. The company I work for is global and the term haulier came up related to trucking firms in Europe used for delivering products. It was a new one for me!

W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
This old gal (age 78) remembers hearing haulier a lot as a child in New England. It sort of disappeared in the late 1940s, along with wearing morning clothes(men) and hats (women) oo Easter.

Last edited by wow; 09/19/07 07:41 PM.
old hand
old hand
haulier |ˈhôlēər|
British term for hauler
-
hen-and-egg question: which was first?
According to the OED: Haulier: 1577, Hauler: 1674

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted By: of troy
haulier is a new one to me..

hauler, yes, but trucker is more common.

and there is also Carter--in NYC metro area, private sanitation companies are carters.

carting is commercial/private garbage removal.

City/county services are garbage men (or nicer, and used by the guys themselves, san men. (from sanitation)).

Truckers are Truckies here in enzed.
And the guys who used to collect the roadside rubbish bins were known as dusties. It was customary at Christmas time to leave the dusties a bottle or Two of your local brew.

olly #170118 09/21/07 01:24 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
used to? What happens to it now? We've gone to having the bins picked up and dumped by a mechanical arm on a truck, but somebody has to drive the truck.

A
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
A
Haulier is new to me. In my experience, a trucker is a human being who drives a truck, and a hauler is a business engaged in the transportation of goods, although trucking company is used more frequently.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I know dustmen (i've read my dickens, and know there is gold in the dust!) and would recognize dustmen as san men..

i even know what a skip is!
In US, skip is a jumping sort of walk (as in skip, skip, skip to my lou, most commonly done by young girls --or jumping with a rope --as in jump or skip rope. there is some sort of geographic distribution as to who uses what word (in NYC is JUMP rope)
(and there is also double dutch, a style of jumping with 2 ropes--for Years, this was a NYC and north east US specialy, but for the past few years, the japanese have been the champs at it)

Your skips are our dumpsters. and we sometimes dumpster dive(ie find useful stuff in the trash, and retrieve it)
Is there an alliterative term for doing the same in skips?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 442 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith