Next Thread
Print Thread
#169453 08/06/07 12:13 PM
Y
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Y
Ok the explanation of the etymology of todays word "malefactor" has me curious/confused.

"The combining form male- meaning 'evil' occurs in words derived from Latin."

I looked some things up and found that "mal" is generally to mean "bad" so that bit makes sense but I looked up "female" and as far as I can tell the 2 words have no real connection as far as the whole "male" / "male" thing goes.
female was derived from "femina" and originally "femella" (which I have conflicting info that it means either "girl" or "to suck" referring to breastfeeding)
So the only reason female and male are similar is because they just tidied up the spelling so it looked closer but actually is completely not related.

does the prefix "fe" mean anything?

it makes no sense to be that 2 words relating to opposites of the same thing would have no real dichotomy in their roots.
Like even in a biblical sense... I would have imagined that is "male" meant "evil" or is "mal" meant bad or "with sin" that female would then must mean "without sin" or "without evil".

Something is amiss here because it seems there should be more of a connection/balance between the 2 words etymology considering the nature of opposites and the importance of what the subject matter is. I mean its not like , oh i dunno... "read" and "tread" or something. maybe thats a bad example, I dunno.

We're not talking apples and oranges here. Were talking apples and apples...just diff variety/gender of apples.

so does anyone have any further info on the whole male/female - male/male connections?

thanks

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Latin male is an adverb which means 'badly, wrongly, wickedly, etc'. Latin malus, -a, -,um is an adjective 'bad, evil'. The word female is English. The Latin word for a woman was femina, and there was another form, a diminutive femella 'girl' (i.e., literally 'little woman'). The -VllV is a suffix and not part of the word, but is added on to make it a diminutive. The Latin word is usually derived from a Proto)indo-European root *dhēi- 'to suck'. The -min- in femina is probably an old (as in obsolete) suffix that made a verb into a noun/adjective and with passive meaning. So, the reconstructed meaning of femina could be 'someone who suckles'. English male is (via French) from Latin masculus, a double diminutive (i.e., the c and the l, cf. homunculus 'manikin') of mas 'male, masuline'. Latin, like English, has words that are similar, but different. But the fact that English male and Latin male 'badly' are spelled the same is an accident of history.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
what men aren't evil?

(run, duck and hide icon!)

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
what men aren't evil?

I didn't say either way on that, because this is a words issue. Just that English male and Latin male 'badly' are not related to one another.

(run, duck and hide icon!)

Viaduct?

OTOH, I once once asked if the -culus in Latin masculus was possibly related to Latin cūlus 'arse, buttock'. I had to tell him not very likely, though it might be related to cunnus.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
Y
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Y
thank you zmjezhd . That was helpful. I was just trying to make a meaningful connection where there wasnt one and when it didnt follow thru I got confused.

But it would have made more sense if I was right...I mean in a Biblical conspiracy sense it would. Maybe it just makes more sense in my head tho... thats entirely possible haha

anyways..thanks for clearing that up for me. you saved me from losing a whole day hunting and getting lost in wikipedia and other info sites hehe

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
thanks for clearing that up for me

You're welcome, and welcome to the board.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,328
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 783 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,539
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith