Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 12 of 13 1 2 10 11 12 13
#16872 12/02/06 02:43 PM
Quote:

The world was suddenly PennyLess?
This story belongs OVER HERE

May I inquire as to, in your own oppinion, what makes my Shaggy Dog story more appropriate in your above mentioned forum and not here where I placed it to begin with?

Yes, it is a pun on words, but it is a Shaggy Dog Story none the less. So please help me understand.

Rev. Alimae
#16873 12/02/06 02:52 PM
enthusiast
enthusiast
First, it struck me as an excellent example of a pun.
Fortunately, the very nature of the Internet (and web pages, and forums, et cetera) makes it a simple matter, with "links", for it to appear in both places!

"I am certain there is too much certainty in the world" -Michael Crichton
#16874 12/02/06 03:08 PM
Point made and agreed.

Rev. Alimae
#16875 12/02/06 06:30 PM
journeyman
journeyman
Might the punchline for the abovementioned Shaggy Dog story be:

"a Penny saved is a Penny urned"?

--- and the pun in my name is intentional.

#16876 12/02/06 06:36 PM
If you happen to look you will see that the punchline is there, you just have to highlight it to read it. Welcome to AWAD.

Rev. Alimae
#16877 12/02/06 08:23 PM
journeyman
journeyman
I stand sat upon . Thanks!

#16878 12/03/06 05:05 PM
enthusiast
enthusiast
Quote:

I stand sat upon . Thanks!

And I am often found sitting, stood-up.

Welcome to the community.

"I am certain there is too much certainty in the world" -Michael Crichton
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Pennyless, could you by any chance be descendant from good Ser Illifer The Pennyless?

This then could be your story.

William the Conquerer, who was crowned King of what could be called South-England in 1066 , was the son of the Duke of Normandy, Robert I, 'The Illustrious' and the not so dumb blonde Herleve also called Arlette, a tanner's daugther.
Though not legitimite, Robert secured him for his succession which came to need soon enough. Robert died on his way back from Jerusalem (crusade nr. X) and the 7 year old William became Duke of Normandy. Some attempts to replace him were made but with the backing of king Henri I of France he stayed in the saddle. He became a good fighter and a lot of that was done right then and there.

At Hastings , where a battle was fought over the claim on the South-England throne, William was for some moments thougth slain and his army was retreating.
" Take a good look at me ! ! I'm still alive by the grace of God and I will prove here and now that I will be victorious! "
On saying that he pushed back his helmet and showed his face to his troops who at the sight of the ardent, determened face took new courage, surrounded their persuers non of whom survived.

But that's not the point.

It may have been with the grace of God but the fact is that it was a young brave squire who saved him from the fatal blow.

After all the figting was done and won, William rewarded the squire by knighting him. No keep, castle or land came with the knighthood as Willam was always in want of funds to do his conquering. The the new Knight called himself : Ser Illifer The Pennyless. ( Illifer beeing the rhoticized form of illustrious and Pennyless needs no further comment.)

He was an excellent storyteller , which helped him through hazardous battle situations by distracting his enemy with the "Wait a minute" tric ( mostly fatal to his adversery by a fatal swordblow from his fellow fighters in the midst of the tale.) With his captivating stories he always had the better of the pretty girls because his stories put them off their guard. And his famous saving King William got him to sit at any great Lord's table. (incl. servant whenches and sneaky ladies ).
Bards and storytellers were wildly populair in those days.

The countless liltte Pennylesses and lads that issued from these numerous happy encounters he could not legitimate because of his chronic lack of money and his wayfarer's life.
But those were the days before all the great moralists had said their say and nobody really held it against him. His offspring inherited his talents (most of the time)and they made their life just like he did, poor but always populair and well provided for.
Some took his name , some didn't . But anyway , the world must be crowded with his far descendants and some still carry the name. Like you f.i. Many of them crossed the big ocean through the ages and some, I'm afraid crossed the Channel.
All of them no doubt will sit at a hospitable, generous table for Christmas, all over the world.

The daughters BTW from the Pennyless 's lineage have the same talents and are extremely pretty and always marry wealthy husbands.

Alimae HP, I really liked your story , but it took me long to get the pun, because I did not know the saying. The others made clear that it was A penny saved is a penny urned (earned?) It was a pun well hidden to me.

Last edited by BranShea; 12/13/06 10:14 PM.
journeyman
journeyman
Quote:

The daughters BTW from the Pennyless 's lineage have the same talents and are extremely pretty and always marry wealthy husbands.

What a sweet legacy! Not entirely true, but life is long...

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Hey, BranShea! You just can't rattle a good story like that.... me hanging on every word... racking my feeble brain to discover the hidden and, as I anticipated, inevitable pending punchline ...!!! That's akin to our resident punster TEd telling us a true story!

It leaves a hole in the universe.

Page 12 of 13 1 2 10 11 12 13

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 302 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith