Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Hydra #168975 07/02/07 02:01 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Hydra, very well said. Bravo!

Now I'm gonna scurry off the the library to look up White Noise.

veteran
veteran
People like to know. They like rules: when this occurs, do this. X implies Y. Moreover, we like to believe that our knowledge, including our knowledge of convention, corresponds to reality. In this regard, I'm not sure I see a difference between prescriptivists and descriptivists.

On the one hand, I see the advantage of just telling us how words are used. On the other hand, I can see that in some cases, we need to know if we are not communicating effectively (and there are many ways this can happen, some of them less obvious than others). A possible example is the contention by some people that there are sexist elements in our language and we ought to try to eliminate some of them. I could do without the lectures and some of the remedy grates, but generally I don't have a problem with their bringing it to my attention. I have my own pet peeve: the interminable conflation of 'schooling' and 'education' which are used synonymously. I have a dilemma here: the very fact that someone does not see the difference or believes it to be negligible is a huge impediment to solving problems related to actual education. OTOH, people don't have patience to learn a different way of communicating, particularly when you're disagreeing with something they already know to be true.

The upshot is that when I point out this source of confusion and poor communication I am often being confusing and communicating poorly. One potential criteria to use for determining when to correct is: does the usage create more confusion or does the correction?

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 442 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith