Wordsmith Talk

About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Would there be a nicer word than nice then? Isn't nice just good enough? One of the die-hard words?

Hydra Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
At one point in The Maltese Falcon, Kasper Gutman (aka the "Fat Man") says to Sam Spade:

Quote:
Frankly, sir, I'd like to have you along. You're a man of nice judgement and many resources.

As well as "pleasant" and "kind", nice means "fine or subtle" as in "a nice distinction."

I like boring words which have interesting but usually overlooked additional meanings. Another example is "report" for gunshot, and "sensible" for "able to notice or appreciate" ("we are sensible of the difficulties he faces.")

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
"sensible" for "able to notice or appreciate" Isn't that kind of ...well, old, for lack of a better term? I recall reading it only in books that were written many decades ago. I would be happy to learn that it's still being used.

Originally Posted By: wow
Now, if you say groovy, you're ...a throwback
Or so far behind you are ahead - again.

Did I debate you in high school?

I'm of the opinion that there is a Cabal Of Intriguers (COI)
who decide on a phrase, arrange to have it dropped into printed and spoken language for the sole purpose of annoying people. Since these words/phrases cause much tooth-gnashing I suspect COI has a good many dentists in its membership.
And of course at meetings the COI gleefully peruse language forums like this to see how well they are doing.

I volunteer to find this cabal, seduce them into compliance, gain entry to their secret happenings and then expose them to the world to end the abuse of innocent slang!

Last edited by Maven; 05/21/07 08:19 PM.

tempus edax rerum
Z
Zed Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Z
Originally Posted By: BranShea
Would there be a nicer word than nice then? Isn't nice just good enough? One of the die-hard words?

Her disapproval was for the overuse by highschool students who didn't bother to try to find/learn/use words which were more interesting or appropriate.

"This was a good book. It was about two guys. One was nice but the other wasn't. Then they went on a trip and their plane crashed and the other guy learned to be nice too. The end."

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel

journeyman
journeyman
I also like the interesting associated meanings of common words. Another one that comes to mind is "hand", meaning a person whose chief work is with his hands: a laborer, sailor or a "hired hand".

I should be able to come up with other examples, but my mind is drawing a blank. Maybe this is fodder for a separate thread?

Hydra #168425 05/24/07 06:32 PM
old hand
old hand
From your post, it is not entirely clear to me if you are complaining: (a) about the habit of calling any arbitrary direction "forward" or (b) the over-use of the set phrase "going forward".
(a) is not strictly a linguistic problem, but more related to pervasive hype and marketing.
as for (b): What about "going ahead" which, to my ears, sounds more elegant and means just about the same.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel

I'm of the opinion that there is a Cabal Of Intriguers (COI)
who decide on a phrase, arrange to have it dropped into printed and spoken language for the sole purpose of annoying people.

I'm coming to the conclusion that there's a Cabal of Complainers who pick some poor defenseless phrase and decide to pule and micturate about how it sets their teeth on edge or is worse than fingernails on a blackboard or some such nonsensical complaint. Pick some of the typical phrases complained about and see if there are more ghits where it's being used or where it's being complained about.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Well, crum--I was hoping to offer a replacement for puling; one that would fit the more common expression of what micturating means and moaning, but the thesaurus only came up with common words for moan, groan, and whine. After that I gave up. Though at least I understand now the meaning of tsuwm's thread I just read before this one!

By the way--what is that Red Orbit thing that comes up sometimes now, unasked-for? (I went to thesaurus.com, and suddenly I was looking at the Red Orbit page.) If it's a pop-up, it's a kind new to me: this is a full-screen page of what looks like news. Um...maybe I should run my spyware detector.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 444 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith