Next Thread
Print Thread
#168402 05/23/07 07:17 PM
E
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
E
I agree that another language opens many doors, not only into another culture, but sometimes also into the meaning of your own language. I have known since childhood that “desayuno” in Spanish was “breakfast” in English, but without giving it much thought. Then, many years later, while reading “The Lord of the Rings” to my granddaughter, I came upon a phrase, probably by Strider, that said: “Come, let us break our fast”. It immediately burst into my mind that both words not only meant the first meal of the day; they were saying the same thing, and “desayuno” was “des-“ (a prefix meaning negation), and “ayuno” (meaning fast) – to break or eliminate the fast.

Enrique García
Mexico City
engarcia@alum.mit.edu

M
addict
addict
M
After breakfast, Tolkien's hobbits have elevenses. Too bad eleven is once in Spanish and not dieciuno --- desayuno could be followed by dieciunos.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
That's hilarious, Myridon! Mind if I borrow it, should the occasion arise?

And welcome, Enrique. I've often had those same "a-ha!" moments with cognates.

O
stranger
stranger
O
Regarding today's word - "cay", from the Spanish "cayo", I have an anecdote I've always found amusing and typical of inter-language phonetic translations.

Growing up in Cuba in the 1950s, Key West was always referred to as "Cayo Hueso" - literally - "Key Bone". (Cayo, by the way, is also the common word in Cuba for a "corn" as in a toe corn.) When I moved to the U.S. and learned English, I was baffled as to why Key West, which would be translated as "Cayo Oeste", was called "key bone". It took a while, but I finally realized that Cayo "Hueso" was the way the Spanish ear hears "West." As far as I know, to this day, Key West is referred to as Cayo Hueso in Spanish. I guess the Spaniards never gave that key a name. Very similar to the Puerto Rican word "safacón" for garbage can which was originally how the Puerto Ricans read the stamped name on the side of the American trash cans - Safety Can. But that's another story.

Ozzie Alfonso
M
addict
addict
M
From what I can find, it was Cayo Hueso before it was Key West. For example, http://www.keywestcity.com/egov/docs/1165259495219.htm

Visiting Southern California, I was confused by a street named Avenida de las Coches - Avenue of the Cars in my smidgen of modern conversational Spanish. One day, I turned on the street to find Wagonwheel Park... coaches as in stagecoaches, d'oh!

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted By: Myridon
After breakfast, Tolkien's hobbits have elevenses. Too bad eleven is once in Spanish and not dieciuno --- desayuno could be followed by dieciunos.

Ah, but they called their elevenses "second breakfast" so I suppose the second break-fast would follow the "second fast", which would be segundo ayuno, but you could call it dosayuno for short, in which case dosayuno would follow desayuno.

old hand
old hand
Now, "ayuno" is not a word a language learner would normally stumble upon, not even if visiting a Spanish-speaking country for a year...yes, that's me! LOL! This is new to me, and I love it! I will definitely use it. There are so many cognates and ways to tie words in with English to learn more English, it's great to have another one! Today in discussing "abrazar" (to hug), inside of this you can find "braz(o)" (arm), leading to the hug synonym, "embrace", coming from Latin "brācchium" (and others), correlating to "bracelets".... anyone fall asleep yet? LOL! I LOVE this stuff! :0)

Y no debe sentirse mal, Enrique, porque la mayoria de los estudiantes estadounidenses no tienen ningun idea del origen de "breakfast", y es su lenguaje!

Z
Zed Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Z
You're right twosleepy, most wouldn't but then again the more common a word is the less likely we are to notice it enough to analyze it. Either an unusual construction or use of it ("break our fast") or the attempt to translate can be the spark that brings it to our notice.
I had the same "oh look at that" moment when the word entrevistadora came up in a Spanish workbook. Once I had worked out the translation (entre - in, inside, between; vista - something about seeing or a view; dora - a woman who does) I suddenly saw the connection. Inter - view - er! Aha!
I like those moments.

Zed #174893 03/20/08 12:42 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Spanish ayuno is from Latin jejunium 'fast, fasting' (related to jejenus 'hungry, thin, poor (of land)' > English jejune).

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
Z
Zed Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Z
and medical jejunum - part of the digestive tract.

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,319
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (A C Bowden), 443 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,535
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith