About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Well, you Helen and Milum and Faldage, who seem to know all about the sun and the moon on the horizon, can you tell me why the sun sinking into the sea, I mean disappearing behind the horizon seems one day bigger than the other?

And why the moon definitely looks bigger on the horizon than the sun on the horizon and has a orangish color in stead of the chilly white when it is up in the sky?

Last edited by BranShea; 05/19/07 09:38 PM.
T
veteran
veteran
T
Gee, BranShea, you ask some good questions.
I can answer all but one, but being polite, I'll let my esteemed colleagues have first go.

Ok, colleagues...go!

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
here ya go, Milo; debunk this.

-joe (one moon is both the same) friday

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted By: themilum

Well no, Faldage, so far I've only explained to about a hundred or so people why our moon and sun when seen on the horizon appears to be extraordinarily large, but only seven people (and you were one of them) nodded their heads either physically or figuratively as if to say that they understood what I said.

Was I smiling figuratively when I was nodding figuratively?

T
veteran
veteran
T
Originally Posted By: Faldage

Was I smiling figuratively when I was nodding figuratively?

If you were smart, my dear Faldage, you were not nodding but looking up towards heaven with your hands high in the air giving humble thanks to me and the Allmighty for removing the scales from your eyes.

That is, if you were smart.

T
veteran
veteran
T
Originally Posted By: tsuwm
here ya go, Milo; debunk this.

-joe (one moon is both the same) friday

Ok Joe, here I go, I hope you have the elan to applaud it.

For a long time man was not a man but a pack. We were pre-people who hunted far and wide to feed the ingroup. Central to our continuance was the need of an ability to find our way back home, and in deep woods a critical guide was the cardinal points, half of which are East and West.

Simply put: Like all animals we humans see only that which enables us to continue through time. So being pack hunters for the most part of our career as a species, our eyes evolved highlighting receptors to better see the position of the setting Sun and Moon. This visual enhancement helped us find our way back home and kept us from being eaten too often by other dumb animals.

Simple huh?

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
well Milo, posting your own crackpot theory isn't exactly the same as debunking everyone else's crackpot therories, now is it.

-jimmy (crackpot) friday

Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Code:
 Simple huh? (Milo)

Simple is not always true.
We do not only see what we need to survive as a species.(We see more and we do not always want to see.)We just err and succeed.Or maybe not in the end.
Did you forget that there are moonless days? And clouded days. So are you going to tell us next that there was:
"no moon today and overcast sky, lets stay at home and do some(crack) pottery"?

Code:
 tsuwm:/ wikipedia

These sentences:

[ In fact, it is not only the Moon that seems larger when we perceive it near the horizon. In a photo of a distant scene, all distant objects are perceived as smaller than when we observe them directly using our vision.]

A photo always gives an exagerated perspective , even more so when you use a large angle lens. A camera "sees" with one " eye", while we see with two.

[ "No single theory has emerged victorious" ]
( I love this )

of troy #168346 05/20/07 01:44 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted By: of troy

... but i did used to know several kids song that were sung to the Battle hymn--(including "john brown's body lies a molding in the grave")

Wasn't "John Brown's body lies a-moldering in the grave" the original lyrics, with the Battle Hymn coming along later?

journeyman
journeyman
John Brown's Body is a kid's song?

I exist! I am a pedant! I have a foreboding signature!
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 302 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith