Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
T
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
T
http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/visual_arts/article1723156.ece

Got balls?

In words explain the worth of Warhol's work.

Betcha can't!

Last edited by themilum; 04/30/07 02:17 AM.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
It causes people to talk about art.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
So you mean the value of the work lies in being entertainment?'
Is that all ? Conversation pieces?

The worth of the work of Andy Warhol was and still is making money go round.Auctioneers, catalogue editors,writers, graphic designers, printers, investment advisors, investors, art critics, museum tourism, galery owners and I might overlook some others categories live and benefit from his business called Art.

I do not say anything about the value of the contents of his oeuvre. Andy Warhol invented an artfactory and apparently the business is still going well.

Last edited by BranShea; 04/30/07 02:55 PM.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
The article got one thing wrong. Warhol's parents were Ruthenians from Slovakia and not Czechs. There's a Warhol Family Museum in Medzilaborce, Slovakia. That factoid probably has nothing to do with his artworks' financial or artistic worth.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
M
addict
addict
M
Originally Posted By: themilum
In words explain the worth of Warhol's work.

Betcha can't!

"Talking about art is like dancing about architecture."
- Laurie Anderson quoting Frank Zappa

Last edited by Myridon; 04/30/07 05:05 PM.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Talking about art is like walking a rope. To me.
Art has always been a means of communication. Whether with the Gods or with fellow humans and/or the artist' self, it has communicated magic, ideals, devotion, genious. admiration, discoveries, love,humor, maddness, sentimentality, drama, pompousness and ambition, despair. Beauty.

Conjuring the mystery and being fascinated by the beauty and mystery of universal creation comes closest to the main motive for the making of art.
(meaning music, archtecture, dance, painting, sculpture, litterature, poetry, theatre, film, photography, crafts.) Everything.
It would be a long story to go through the different purposes and meanings of art in the course of the ages. And it 's confusing in present days, after both art and philosophy (always interacting ) have been more than once been declared dead.

Themilums's question , to give an answer in words about the worth of Andy Warhol's work , I would gladly and easily put away with as : It is none of this mentioned here above. (ambition, yes) Others may fight this point of vieuw. (and how sure can I be?))
Yes, a work of art can always be a conversation piece if you want, but there should be more to it. IMO. Making art should be more than throwing a surprise party and impressing the world with BIG and MANY and masking theories.

Art and philosophy have till recently played a leading part in cultural and also social changes, but somehow there is no longer an answer to the never ending demand for renewal.

There's (postmodernism) been a lot of recycling done the last decades and many things presented as new are stolen or borrowed from the past. Andy Warhol's pop art still was something new. But Campbell's cans of tomatoe soup or the many colored prints of Monroe do not really strike me with awe.
( that is personal value giving).Warhol was a remarkeable personality and a clever business man and networker.

(For renewal science is the only field that still can come up with real discoveries.)

(All this is IMO )

P.S Seen in the context of art as a means of communication Andy Warhol was an advertising man. That's what he had to say. Advertising in an entertaining and often specticular way.
Making good show of himself. The art world loved it.

Last edited by BranShea; 05/02/07 06:29 PM.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
> marquant

?

formerly known as etaoin...
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Sorry, I meant remarkeable but stronger than that and I can't find the word. Something meaning putting his mark on the world.
(?)

Come to think of it, he more often put someone elses mark on the world.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
marquant

French for 'striking, remarkable, outstanding, eminent, prestigious'.

[Pipped by Branshea.]

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
thanks.

> French for

wondered why it didn't show up in OneLook.

formerly known as etaoin...
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 444 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith