Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 13 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 12 13
#16812 02/08/01 11:22 AM
R
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
R
Psst--d'you reckon we ought to cue the young folk and the outlanders whence came this pun?

Jazz has spoken for the young, so I think I can say the same for the "outlanders", having all the qualifications of outlandishness. Smokey bear is not unknown over here, although he hasn't received much prominence lately, so maybe the set that includes young AND outlander would miss the point.
It was good to see the full story, though - thank you wow!

#16813 02/08/01 12:07 PM
R
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
R
I feel it is time I added an histerical aspect to this thread, histery being my bag.
So, I will tell you a tale of the Norsemen and their impact on civilization. Many of you will know that the Vikings travelled to the Mediterrannean, via the rivers of what is now Russia. And there they found in use a type of boat, known as a caique, which is still in use round there to this day. They are fine looking, practical vessels, well suited to their task of carrying freight, passengers or fishermen. One Norseman, Eric the Unlikely, was so impressed that he purchased one, with the intention of introducing its use into the Norwegian Fjords.
Now, the quickest way to Norway from the Med. is via the Atlantic, the English Channel and the North Sea (to use their modern names, thereby hiding my ignorance of what they were called at the time by pretending to pander to my readers' lack of knowledge of this period) And this is the route that Eric set out on, late in September in the year ninehundred and blank. It is fine in the Mediterranean at that season, and he did well. When he reached the Atlantic, however, he encountered contrary gales that delayed him by blowing him almost to Madeira. (He didn't know that, or he might have overwintered in that delightful isle - but it hadn't beeen discovered yet, so he couldn't do that without altering history) By the time he reached the North Sea, it was early November, and the weather had turned very cold indeed. Added to which, the winds were contrary - as they usually are when you are in a hurry. There is probably a law of nature to describe this phenomenon
Eric began to run short of food, and to get very cold indeed. He was afraid of hypothermia - or would have been, had the term been thought of by then. So he built a big fire on the deck, in the place where he usually did the cookiong. This was a great comfort, and he felt much better, even to the point where he was no longer so worried about his hunger. The firs began to die down, so he piled on the remains of his fuel, hoping that the wind would change and blow him home swiftly.
It did no such thing, of course!
He ran out of fuel, so he used his wooden shield. Still the wind did not blow the right way. He used all of his luggage and all of the things he'd bought in the souvenir shops along the Mediterranean,
Still the wind blew contrary-wise.
He pulled down the sails and burnt them (they were blowing him away from Norway, anyway, he reasoned)
Then he pulled up the seats and burnt them.
At last - he pulled the off sides of the boat as fuel and the inevitable happened. Waves came over the sides and swamped the boat, not only quenching the fire, but sinking the vessel.

Which just goes to show that you can't have your caique and heat it.

#16814 02/08/01 08:53 PM
G
old hand
old hand
G
So, I will tell you a tale of the Norsemen and their impact on civilization. Many of you will know that the Vikings travelled to
the Mediterrannean, via the rivers of what is now Russia.

This passage is now known as the Varangian Highway. The people who plied it were indeed Nordic folk, of a tribe called the Russ, whence Russia. Like your Eric, there was another Eric who pioneered this route, but died in his hasty first trip through unfamiliar teritory, going down in history as, of course, Eric the Dead. Sven the Foolish tried it next, and also died. Then Lars the Lost tried it and, well, you can guess what happened. Eventually some of decendants succeeded, and settled many cities along the route, but not before spawning the saying, Fools, Russ kin, where wise men fear to tread.

#16815 02/09/01 01:48 AM
F
F
In a battle of wits, some are pacifists by neccessity...

#16816 02/09/01 02:45 AM
G
old hand
old hand
G
In a battle of wits, some are pacifists by neccessity...

Are you nit-picking about my wit, or just calling me a nit-wit?

#16817 02/09/01 02:52 AM
G
old hand
old hand
G
Which just goes to show that you can't have your caique and heat it.

I heard another version, wherein he was travelling with his wife, Edith. He had to toss Edith overboard to keep the caique from sinking, so he couldn't have his caique and Edith too. Maybe I heard wrong, though.

#16818 02/09/01 12:01 PM
R
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
R
so he couldn't have his caique and Edith too

There is yet another version, which I am certain is apocryphal, that Eric was carrrying a Papal Bull (or edict) back to Scandinavia and was attacked by pagan pirates who confiscated the ship so that the Bull should not be delivered. Maybe you heard the same version, Geoff, but delivered by a Castillian.

This may also be the origin of Bullship

#16819 02/09/01 02:01 PM
G
old hand
old hand
G
Maybe you heard the same version, Geoff, but delivered by a Castillian.

In the version I heard, the haughty Illian wasn't cast, but merely dropped on his head. This formerly aragon womanizer eventually recovered enough to go into a pub where he met a friend from Pisa who inquired, "How-a com-a you arrive inna da barsalona, whenna you likea da women?

This may also be the origin of Bullship

Oh, RC, I am cowed by your grasp of nautical lore!

#16820 02/09/01 02:40 PM
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I have no one to blame but myself for the fact that I, knowing better, read additions to this thread.

Thank you all for revealing to me an aspect of myself of which I was formerly unaware. I might as well start reading the S&M ads.

#16821 02/09/01 03:17 PM
R
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
R
Oh, RC, I am cowed by your grasp of nautical lore

But as you get to know me better, you'll find this awe will not last for heiffer

And, I guess that ian wasn't Ill before he was cast on to his bonce.

Page 6 of 13 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 12 13

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,318
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 763 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,535
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith