Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#166162 02/19/07 04:38 AM
Hydra Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
Did it used to be necessary to cut the pages of old books? To be more precise, were every two contiguous pages joined along the top edge, which it was necessary to split with a knife?

Example.

I once bought a brand new "vintage look" edition of East of Eden in which pairs of pages were joined. I assumed it was a manufacturing error, and split them with a box cutter.

But then I read a description of a man reading with a silver knife and cutting all the pages as he went in Laughter in the Dark. Then, when I was browsing photographs of old first editions, I saw that it was sometimes the case that all or many of the pages were joined in pairs as described.

Was this done on purpose? If yes, why? If not, how did it happen? How common was it? When did books start being sold with all their pages "pre-cut" ?

Last edited by Hydra; 02/19/07 04:47 AM.
A
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
A
Yes, books used to be sold unopened. Better to use a letter opener but no harm done since it was a reproduction. (another link on unopened pages.)

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
There is the old story of the tycoon who was called by an old friend, who said, "George, I am seriously down on my luck and I have to sell my vintage set of Shakespeare. I was wondering if you would give me a good price for it, since you always admired it on my bookshelf."

The tycoon offered him $500 and the guy began to wail, "George, these books are my oldest friends. I vist them every night and they comfort me in my penury."

So George upped the offer to $1000 and when he got the books home he discovered that they were "unopened." He sent his friend a note: "This was the uncuttest kind of all."

TEd
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
It was common enough. I once bought a book I wished to read (mid-19th century) that had uncut pages. I asked a friend who is an antiquarian book dealer if the book was worth more unopened, and he assured me that it would sell for the same price in either state. Come to think of it, I bought some books a decade back or so from Ireland (some printed as late as the '70s/'80s, that were unopened. It's not just the top edge which needs to be cut, but also the front edge (opposite the spine). This is a by-product of how books are printed on large pieces of paper which are then folded (called signatures or gatherings). The signatures are sewn and assembled into a book. Most books are then trimmed before being bound.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
E
addict
addict
E
There's a poem by Robert Service in which the poet, down on his luck and hungry is wandering along the bookseller's stall and sees a book he wrote. He picks it up and leafs through it, finding the handwritten dedication "To my adorable Odette"...

And then I stared in consternation -
The pages were unsevered yet.
Yet she inspired its finest numbers!
And then a memory awoke
From half a century of slumbers.
A note, a mille [thousand francs] did I not poke
Within its leaves? Who would believe it!
As fresh and fair it was today,
And so I hastened to retrieve it,
Put back the book and walked away.

They say bread cast upon the waters
Returneth after many days.
Odette was one of Joy's fair daughters,
Yet sadly fickle in her ways.
Now I've wherewith for bread and butter
And yet, somehow, my spirit grieves
As, paying garret rent, I mutter
"The trollop didn't cut the leaves!"

D
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D
In my lifetime I have encountered several newish books with one or two front-uncut pair

dalehileman
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
I keep a lettter opener to hand in a block of wood a friend, Ralph Morang III, made for me. The top has six hole drilled for pens/pencil/opener/whatever, and the sides feature my initials -in a different wood - A L M and an arrow! It's my Writer's Block

E
addict
addict
E
Quote:

I keep a lettter opener to hand in a block of wood a friend, Ralph Morang III, made for me. The top has six hole drilled for pens/pencil/opener/whatever, and the sides feature my initials -in a different wood - A L M and an arrow! It's my Writer's Block

:

Can I use this?

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Quote:

Quote:

:

Can I use this?

well, I don't think wow will want to give hers up, but I would think you could make your own...

formerly known as etaoin...
enthusiast
enthusiast
Quote:

It's my Writer's Block

As opposed to the situation when an author has difficulty finding/finishing a story?

"I am certain there is too much certainty in the world" -Michael Crichton
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 444 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith