About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
at least on jury rig.

Check here and go to the left hand column, mouse over the I-J and select Jerry-Built/Jury rig for the full story. They both predate WWII by a good bit.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
another fine example for why you should never assume anything!

T
veteran
veteran
T
Quote:

at least on jury rig.

Check here and go to the left hand column, mouse over the I-J and select Jerry-Built/Jury rig for the full story. They both predate WWII by a good bit.

What a joke! This silly fellow, David Wilton, seems to think that he can copyright what others have said. His spill is filled with absolutes that don't follow.
What a joke.

Now. Back to our discussion...

Last edited by themilum; 01/12/07 12:45 AM.
T
veteran
veteran
T
Ok, now here is an earlier user of the word "jury" in an unequivocal context.
From the last paragraph of the book THE LAST VOYAGE OF COLUMBUS by Martin Duggard, 2006...

[He was old and sick, but Columbus's ingenuity remained limitless. He took control of the nameless caravel without ever leaving his sickbed, ordering the forecastle and sterncastle demolished and the lumber used to construct a new mast.]

"A jury mast was constructed from one of the lateen yards and partially braced with ropes and timbers," Fernando remembered. "Our mizzen mast was brought down by another storm, and it was God's will that we should sail in this sorry plight for seven hundred leagues, at the end of which we entered the harbor os Sanlucar de Barrameda".

[the date was November 7, 1504. Columbus was finally back in Spain, fifty-three years old and with less than two years to live.]

The quote by Fernando was written shortly thereafter.

Last edited by themilum; 01/14/07 09:27 PM.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
So Fernando was writing in modern English? Sorry, I cannot view that as proof that jury was used in that fashion in 1504. I will bet you a buck that the quote from Fernando in the original Spanish or Portuguese or whatever he wrote in does not include the word jury. And I'll give you ten to one odds.

TEd
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
How about Capt. John Smith, who, in 1616 wrote:

Quote:

We had reaccommodated her a jury mast, and the rest, to returne for Plimouth.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Quote:

So Fernando was writing in modern English? Sorry, I cannot view that as proof that jury was used in that fashion in 1504. I will bet you a buck that the quote from Fernando in the original Spanish or Portuguese or whatever he wrote in does not include the word jury. And I'll give you ten to one odds.

And you'd be right, TEd. The question here, Mr Milum, would be the date of the translation. For the translator didn't pluck "jury" out of thin air.

T
veteran
veteran
T
Well TED, you are right. I owe you a buck.
What Fernando really said was...

"Un mástil del jurado fue construido a partir del uno de lateen yardas y apoyado parcialmente con las cuerdas y las maderas"

And then he added...

"y el jurado todavia esta hacia en TEd"

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
After Fong's 1616 offering, the OED also has this from 1627:
Quote:

1627 {emem} Seaman's Gram. iv. 18 A Iury Mast, that is, when a Mast is borne by the boord, with Yards, Roofes, Trees, or what they can, spliced or fished together they make a Iury-mast.

Given that these are the written citations, the term must have been around for a while, na? Mid-to-late 16C at least?

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Quote:

"Un mástil del jurado fue construido a partir del uno de lateen yardas y apoyado parcialmente con las cuerdas y las maderas"

Yeah, right. With a fish stuck in his ear he said that.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,316
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 469 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,533
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith