Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
#164741 01/05/07 12:09 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Quote:

Just have to wonder what a New York resolution is. Some sort of (foregoing) aberration, perhaps.

Heh. It's kinda like a NY minute: you make it and forget it just like that. Bada-bing.

#164742 01/06/07 03:59 PM
D
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
D
In the meantime I ran across another Type 2 word for the expr "Bill Gates", and that is "avatar"

Also I encountered the following as anothr example of how Bill Gates makes everything 18 times more difficult than it needs to be:

Outlook has the nasty habit of sending a file to the recipient before you’re done writing it, which in many cases could easily result in a lawsuit. This occurs, for instance, when you’re composing a reply to a correspondent’s message and you inadvertenty perform a save (Ctrl+S). But it also happens at various other times for no apparent reason, so watch out. Your best bet is to play it safe:

(1) Be sure Outlook is closed.

(2) Open Word.

(3) If the Outlook header appears at the top of the window in spite of the fact that Outlook is closed,

(a) close the file,

(b) exit Word,

(c) turn off the computer,

(e) turn it back on,

(g) reboot,

(h) reopen Word;

(4) If the header

(a) is still there, we recommend suicide; but

(b) if not, proceed to the next step.

(5) Write the message in Word.

(6) Proofread it several times to be absolutely sure there are no mistakes, else if you attempt corrections in Outlook,

(a) the file may self-destruct, or at least

(b) all typography will become jumbled, or

(c) the font and background colors will have changed randomly.

(7) Copy it to the clipboard (Ctrl+C).

(8) Open Outlook.

(9) Open a new file (click on New)

(9) Retrieve it from the clipboard (Ctrl+V);

(10) If the message is now invisible, click on Format and

(a) click on Font and change the color to one that contrasts with the background or

(b) click on Background and change its color to one that contrasts with the font.

(11) Be sure the file hasn’t been corrupted, that it’s all there and that none of the typography nor color has changed; if

(a) it has, return to step (2). But, if after repeating the remaining steps to this point,

(b) the file is still corrupt, it’s time again for suicide, but

(c) it is ok, proceed to the next step.

(12) Go back to Word and close the file.

(13) Save and close any other open files in Word.

(14) Close Word.

(15) Return to Outlook.

(16) Finally, send it (click on Send a Copy).

There, see how easy and friendly is Microsoft programming?

Last edited by dalehileman; 01/06/07 04:00 PM.

dalehileman
#164743 01/06/07 04:10 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
if you don't MS products, don't use them.

there are alternatives.some are even free.
i don't understand why anyone would pay for products they don't like when there are lower cost and free alternatives.

#164744 01/06/07 05:42 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
and if you must use Outlook, memorize the following:
Save is Ctrl-S
Send is Alt-S

the fail-safe method, of course, is to never use the shortcut to Send,
but always use the Send button instead.

#164745 01/06/07 06:10 PM
D
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
D
Helen: I almost have to MS products as it has taken me 10 years to learn all their peculiarities, while I'm too old, for instance, to learn all those of Mac

Wait til you're my age--you will see

Yours in a spirit of persiflage--Dale

tsu: Thank you for that but you don't allow for human frailties, such as inadvertently clicking on Send when you meant to hit To... . Thus I urge all others to adopt this convention: Make it a habit not to enter in either To... or Cc... until you are done editing. Then if you should prematurely do a Ctrl+S or hit Send, you are still home free

You will thank me for this tip, esp if you had made your first slip and had to hire a lawyer

Last edited by dalehileman; 01/06/07 06:14 PM.

dalehileman
#164746 01/07/07 07:35 AM
addict
addict
>Wait til you're my age--you will see

This is not the first time you have hinted at being old. If you don't mind my asking—How many years young are you Dale?

#164747 01/07/07 04:45 PM
D
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
D
Thank you for that, I am going on 77

Thank you too for your encouragement in this hotbed of unrestrained hostility, there should be more Hydras

dalehileman
#164748 01/07/07 05:43 PM
D
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
D
Oh, and:

My No. 1 Son, a highly-paid IT, had helped me network to Laverne's machine so that I too could share Outlook’s purpose. He patiently explained how I would first have to boot her computer, but not before turning her modem on, else my Outlook wouldn’t recognize it. And only then should I energize my own machine, because if mine was already on, all hell might break loose

To further complicate things, if she then decides to use Outlook also, don’t sign off before she does else her e-mail capability is disabled (requiring her to save, shut down, reboot, etc. etc.). However, be sure she does not shut down before I do; else if I need to get back in and I reboot her machine, now my capability is disabled, (requiring me also to save, shut down, etc. etc. etc.)

In the meantime Bill has added another wrinkle, displaying error messages such as THIS SITE IS NOT AVAILABLE when you attempt to access the Internet, evidently owing to a Gates loop requiring a certain progression of power to your PC, modem, and wireless router

Understand, Bill is merely an avatar for for all this

You will thank me for this insight. Don't blame your server quite yet. His rep is kept busy 24/7 addressing troubles like yours

Your difficulty can be caused, for instance, by a momentary loss of power, your having invoked a contentious macro, or your inadvertently striking certain keys in rapid sequence. Typically the answer is very simple, do not call Verizon: Instead turn off your router, wait one full minute, then turn it back on. Now sit back for about ten minutes while your PC and router strike up a new agreement. Finally, try again getting into the Internet, when you will probably succeed

If not, only then call Verizon

Last edited by dalehileman; 01/07/07 05:52 PM.

dalehileman
#164749 01/09/07 03:01 PM
D
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
D
HOW TO FIX WORD/OUTLOOK WHEN LINES GO OFF THE SCREEN

Hi guys: Hey, I finally stumbled on it!!! In case this ever happens to you: It has to do with Format, Paragraph, Special, Hanging. You just keep screwing around with it, invoking it and canceling it, returning from the menu, highlighting the entire file, returning to the menu, until after about a half-hour of doing everything you can think of and swearing and cussing it finally straightens itself out . – Dale

Edited to append this PS: In case you have tried the above, you found out it won’t work. You must end the procedure with the following: (a) Depress rightarrow and hold it for 30 secopnds. (b) Then do the same withleft arrow. If that doesn’t work, go back to step (a) If that doesn’t fix the problem, there’s a book you should get from Amazon; it’s called The Final Exit.

dalehileman
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,328
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,273 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,539
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith