Wordsmith.org: the magic of words

Wordsmith Talk

About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#163775 - 11/27/06 04:01 PM Rattled  
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 500
Elizabeth Creith Offline
addict
Elizabeth Creith  Offline
addict

Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 500
Northern Ontario, Canada
The other day I came across this:

"A study done on people treated for rattlesanke bites revealed that almost 15% of patients claimed theeir attacker was dead. One man shot a snake, cut off the body and waited five minutes after the animal had stopped moving. When he picked up the head, the head lunged and chomped down on his finger. When he grabbed his finger in pain, the head bit him again on the other hand.
The study concluded that a decapitated rattlesnake should be treated like a very short snake."

I compare this to the folk belief that a decapitated snake's head lives until sundown. Cooler temperatures after nightfall would make reptilian action sluggish at best.
I'm amazed that the head could/would still bite that long after decapitation. I know snakes have really simple brains, but wouldn't oxygen deprivation have stopped brain action at that point? How much of a bite is reflex?

#163776 - 11/29/06 12:07 AM Re: Rattled  
Joined: Aug 2002
Posts: 2,154
Zed Offline
Pooh-Bah
Zed  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Joined: Aug 2002
Posts: 2,154
British Columbia, Canada
I can see how the mouth would close resulting in a bite either through reflex or simple mechanics since it is concievable that the head would not die until lack of oxygen stopped the brain and muscle functioning. (Ever see a chicken when it's head is cut off?) But lunging is the body pushing the head so there would have to be body attached or the chump put his hand in the mouth.
A doctor I worked with did a study showing that 90% of rattlesnake bite victims admitted to our ER fit the same pattern. The victim is male, between 12 and 25, if over 16 he has been drinking and the bite is in the hand. The remaining 10% do not involve trying to catch the bloody thing.

#163777 - 11/29/06 12:34 AM Re: Rattled  
Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 13,803
Faldage Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Faldage  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 13,803
I allus thought it was the body that didn't die until sunset, not the head.


Moderated by  Jackie 

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,877
Posts223,575
Members9,003
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
bpatterson0032, Aladitya_khan, JdawgGaming, Hiteshi, JaneJane
9003 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (1 invisible), 33 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters(All Time)
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,538
LukeJavan8 8,874
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2017 Wordsmith

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.0
Page Time: 0.012s Queries: 13 (0.003s) Memory: 2.6586 MB (Peak: 2.7388 MB) Zlib disabled. Server Time: 2017-05-25 22:02:54 UTC