Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
E
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
E
Reading your list on the merits of hardcover books brought back a memory of my English teacher, MaryVirginia Rosenfeld, from John Adams High School in South Bend, Indiana. She said she never bothered to lock her car because "nobody steals books", and in 30 years she has never been proven wrong. In 1970 she distributed a bibliography entitled "Great Books For a Lifetime's Reading"; I am still working on it. My dear Miss Rosenfeld, now curled up in the most comfortable reading chair in the great beyond (it has excellent light plus tea and cookies at hand), you are never forgotten.

veteran
veteran

I was not a fan of my 10th grade English teacher until many years after I graduated. However, one thing she used to say all the time that has stuck with me is this: "No intelligent person is ever bored."

After some years, I've discovered that while it is not exactly true, it is a very close approximation to the truth. Intelligent people can keep their minds occupied nearly anywhere, nearly any time. One habit is to keep books (as well as paper and pen) everywhere - every room of the house, both cars, all the backpacks, at work - any place one is likely to find one's self stranded for any length of time. And oddly, I have never had a book stolen from me, though a few loaners have failed to make their way home.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Loosing them to theft would be easier to take than loosing them to careless borrowers. At least you would not ask yourself half your life
who the h it was that borrowed this and that particular favorite book you keep searching after.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
When I was graduated from high school, my English teacher bought me a copy of Clifton Fadiman's Lifetime Reading Plan and urged me to pursue it. I did and have never regretted that commitment. I also deeply appreciate her nudge in the direction of a rich banquet of thought and expression.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Come on Jackie! You can do it.There are many authors of whom you only have to read one.
Personally I would have chosen Dostojevski over Tolstoy. And I miss Beowolf, but I guess everyone would make a few changes in the list.
Father Steve,honestly,you done them all?

(there is a beautiful movie by Kobayashi called 'K(w)aidan', short ghost stories from the 19th century , one of which is called 'Hoichi with the ears', about the battle of the Genji (see list) against the Heike ; fascinating! The movie dates from the 60-70 -ties. It might be hard to trace. But is so beautiful.)
And I saw a fantastic woodprint on the subject in the Leiden Museum.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kwaidan_%28film%29

Last edited by BranShea; 10/21/06 01:47 AM.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Nuh-uh. Jackie wont read Shakespeare

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
well, looking at that list just embarrasses me. :¬ P

my ex-wife inherited the complete Harvard Classics, and I made a brief attempt to read all of those, but alas, I was quickly unsuccessful...

formerly known as etaoin...
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
"Act now while the supply lasts, and you can buy a rare facsimile of an 11th-century, illuminated German manuscript for only $16,425. After
March 15, the price will rise to $19,205. This is what the publisher
has told prospective German buyers interested in acquiring a 410-page,
gilded copy of a pericope."
Craig R. Whitney; Medieval Marketing; The New York Times; Nov 9, 1994.

Advertisements like these always cheer me up to a high degree.Especially the "for only" is hilarious. Come to look at it it's almost a gift. Good grief , it's a facsimile, a smiling fake and a pericope, meaning only a part of a book as well.

I guess however something like this might be attractive to thieves.

B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
but alas, I was quickly unsuccessful...

A
stranger
stranger
A
Would you please consider sharing this list "Great Books For a Lifetime's Reading" by Miss Rosenfeld?? I would love to see it and share it with my book club!
Thanks for your heartwarming post.

B
stranger
stranger
B
I had an English teacher in year 6 who gave us a similar list. If memory serves it was 6 or 7 pages, printed front and back on a mimeograph machine (OK, now I'm showing my age!). In a 9-week timeframe, we were required to pick 8 books and read one a week. It included books by Tolstoy, the Brontes, etc. I would give anything to have that list again! So, may I echo A_Hallab's request? Would you be willing to share Miss Rosenfeld's list with us all?

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
For those of us not familiar with the Australian education system, can you tell us typically how old a student is in year 6? If it is eleven years old I would say your list is a sure-fire way to quench any desire in a student to enjoy reading.

J
stranger
stranger
J
Goodness, Fadiman does not include any books of the Bible in his list, the Pentatuch, Psalms, Isaiah, Song of Solomon, the Gospels, both Corinthians, Galatians, Romans, Phillipians, Ephesians, et al.
But to keep on topic, the only books I know to have been stolen are college textbooks, in my husband's case a calculus text that was used for more than a year's worth of classes.

stranger
stranger
I love this post. I, too, would like to see MaryVirginia Rosenfeld's list. That is, if you don't mind sharing.

Thanks!

L
stranger
stranger
L
would dearly love to be able to compare ms. rosenfeld's list with fadiman's, if you don't mind going to the trouble! has anyone ever gotten a hold of helene hanff's list of indispensable reads? been trying to get a hold of that one for years...thanks!

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Hello, newcomers, and welcome! I am pleased but not surprised to see that a thread on books garners so much attention.
Leo, this site hints that the list you're looking for may be contained within 84, Charing Cross Road. (That is, the books she inquires about.) In a paragraph about that book, this person says, "...Hanff provides a perfect "wish list" of authors..." :
web page

This site has some interesting personal facts about Ms. Hanff and how this book came into being.
BBC

Oh--Ensorcellor, congratulations on having your post included in the AWAD mail (issue 232)!

Last edited by Jackie; 10/23/06 02:05 PM.
R
stranger
stranger
R
Ironic! I saw 84 Charring Cross Road as a movie and read Kwaidan as a book! Loved them both. And love this line as well:

"but alas, I was quickly unsuccessful..."

Clever people!

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Hello Retta! Pleased to meet a fellow Kwaidan reader. (I read it too as a book.) Now if I come 84 Charring Cross Road movie I will go see that.

#162540 10/24/06 12:39 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I didn't see the movie (didn't even know there'd been one), but the book has to be better.

#162541 10/24/06 04:49 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Hello confusion.I didn't really read higer up than this 84 Charring
Cross Road + Kaidan (missed a few days). The Title looked interesting to me as being maybe a book about burning disasters and charcoal drawings that had a link somehow with 84 Charing Cross Road and I thought OK : a nice wordplay with this road.
Now it appears to really be 84 Charing Cross Road. Have to think up a new suspence.

B
stranger
stranger
B
Sorry, Faldage, but while I currently reside in Australia, I grew up in the US and attended all 12 years of schooling there - mostly in the State of Florida. The list I got was from my year 6 language arts teacher, and I believe I was 12 at the time. (We were a bit of a nerdy "advanced" class, in that everyone in it tested at year 11 or 12 reading levels, hence the complexity of some of the reads we were expected to comprehend...)

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
You answered my question well enough, bk. It's just my question was wrong. More power to you if you made it through that list at age twelve and I hope others of your class did too. I got turned off to Shakespeare in high school (I was probably 15 at the time) by a totally incompetently presented English program.

#162544 10/25/06 10:59 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
year 6 = 6th grade.

Wow. I didn't hit Tolstoy or the Brontes till college.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
We were a bit of a nerdy "advanced" class Welcome home, then. [open arms e]

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
bkmdano, could you please tell me what is a language art teacher.
All these international systems of education are so different. We have laguage teachers and art teachers. I never heard of a language art teacher.

When I hit Tolstoy and after 4 pages he still did´nt hit me back, I honored Tolstoy in movies of War and Peace only.
But Dostojevski, he hit me with all he wrote and never gave me reason to hit him.

veteran
veteran

I have an impression after having read only few works of each. If I put my mind to it and invested some effort, I think I could make a good thesis of it.

Dostoyevski is much more black and white. The good characters are nearly saint-like (Prince Myshkin, the younger Karamazov brother ); the villains epitomize evil (Karamazov's old man, The Grand Inquisitor). Those in-between characters are foolish and perpetuate evil, mostly because they are stupid and fail to respond to evil in themselves or in others.

Tolstoy's characters are more balanced. He's much more sympathetic to his characters, even the bad guys and the foolish ones. I noticed this first with Anna Karenina when I was mentally berating Anna's husband for being such an ass, and then thought suddenly, "You know ... I'm just not sure. Had I been in his situation, I might have behaved the same way."

Of course lots of books have characters that make you question your values, but a great many of those stories are contrived. People who really ARE wise are made to look stupid. People who are evil are made to appear good. Aristophanes can make Socrates look stupid when he's telling his own story. Doyle can make Holmes appear logical, when he's not. But Tolstoy's characters, particularly his central characters, are just like real people - partly because some of them are, and partly because even the fictional characters ACT like real people.

There's a lot of writers whose contributions I think are grossly overrated by intellectuals, or by other writers, or by people in general: Fitzgerald, Ibsen, Melville, Joyce. All of them clearly have or had some keen ability, to be sure, but not so great as they are reputed to be (at least not in my admittedly uneducated and unrefined estimation). I can see how someone would say that Melville is a Great Writer, but I just can't agree that he is, or ever was, the greatest writer in the English language or that Moby Dick was ever the greatest book.

I'm not saying that Tolstoy, as I've occasionally heard, is the greatest writer. But, imo, he's up there. I'm not surprised that others think he's there. I can say that he is among the greatest writers I've ever read and when I hear others say the same thing, I never suspect a hint of hyperbole.

OTOH, Madame Bovary is a solid refutation to the notion that sympathetic treament of all characters is necessary for a Great Writer. This really is a brilliant book, even if the characters are stilted. The druggist (was his name Homais?) is one of the truly despicable characters from literature. Nevertheless, I do wonder - could there really be someone quite that evil?

#162548 10/25/06 05:38 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Bran, it's just a fancy, dare I say post-modern, way of saying "English teacher."

#162549 10/25/06 06:19 PM
M
addict
addict
M
There is a sort of naming problem as in an English speaking school, your English teacher (hopefully) doesn't have the same goal as your Spanish teacher. Is the ESL (English as a Second Language) teacher an English teacher or not?

Is "English IV: British Literature" a redundant course title?

#162550 10/25/06 07:54 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
And is an English teacher someone from England?

#162551 10/26/06 11:01 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Aha, thanks Anna! To keep these things clear we turn it around , teacher English, teacher French, teacher German etc.
If not postmodern it certainly is trendy. Language art teacher The outward stylistic upgrading of practically everything.

Most of my punctuations marks are out of order. Till I fix this problem my posts may not be totally punctilious.
/never were anyway/

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Quote:

Tolstoy's characters are more balanced. He's much more sympathetic to his characters, even the bad guys and the foolish ones. I noticed this first with Anna Karenina when I was mentally berating Anna's husband for being such an ass, and then thought suddenly, "You know ... I'm just not sure. Had I been in his situation, I might have behaved the same way."

Dostojvksi may seem more black and white because he does not do the moral value thing. And I think he is thrice as sympathetic with his characters as Tolstoy, who, being of solid Russian noblity has the tolerant values of his class and the idealistic ideas too. I know he is one of the great writers for sure , but I would like to put Dostojevski against Tolstoy as Van Gogh stands against Rubens.
Dostojevski suffered like his characters. Acknowledged the injustice and arbitrariness of social structures and relations.
His writing is feverish, lucid, compassionate.
His smaller works are worth reading too. White Nights and the Meek One. - maybe the English title is Weak of Heart or The weak of Heart
Wonderful short stories.

Dostojevski was of lower Latvian noblity and suffered from epilepsy.
Was senteced to death but was then changed onto forced labor. He´s a realistic, he lived what he wrote. Maybe Tolstoy did too , but from a more comfortable desk chair.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Sorry , mr.TheFal F /////, I got a little carried away. They were the first books I bought from pocketmoney when I was about 15/ 16. Cheep editions of good quality, available to everyone who did not spend their money on candy or french fries.(patates frites)
For less than 3/4 dollar a piece (at that time's value)the whole Russian classic library was to be had.I know I should give Tolstoi one more try for a more just opinion.
Still keep that line of worn out browned-paged pocket books.

veteran
veteran
No apology necessary. If anything, you confirmed in my mind what I thought. The Idiot may well have been an cathartic for Dostoyevski. Maybe that's how he sees himself - a pure person trying to do right amidst a bunch of sleazy people.

It's not that I don't think that there are some people who really are more 'pure' than others or more evil than others (like old man karamazov). It's just that I think there are more people lying somewhere on a spectrum between those extremes.

Tolstoy might not have had the worst life, but it wasn't the best, either. It was, it seems to me, a life largely based on service and the improvement of humanity.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Quote:

"Act now while the supply lasts, and you can buy a rare facsimile of an 11th-century, illuminated German manuscript for only $16,425. After
March 15, the price will rise to $19,205. This is what the publisher
has told prospective German buyers interested in acquiring a 410-page,
gilded copy of a pericope."
Craig R. Whitney; Medieval Marketing; The New York Times; Nov 9, 1994.

Advertisements like these always cheer me up to a high degree.Especially the "for only" is hilarious. Come to look at it it's almost a gift. Good grief , it's a facsimile, a smiling fake and a pericope, meaning only a part of a book as well.

I guess however something like this might be attractive to thieves.

That is at the heart of all (successful) advertising, right?

"I am certain there is too much certainty in the world" -Michael Crichton
J
stranger
stranger
J
For those who appreciate lists of classics, such as those mentioned in this thread previously, here's another that I like, assembled some years ago at the University of Texas at Austin. It's called the Texas List of Unrequired Reading.

http://utopia.utexas.edu/parents/txunrequired.html

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel

That is at the heart of all (successful) advertising, right?

To get your neighbour to buy something you might envy him for? Hm.I guess so. And many people respond to that little game.

P
stranger
stranger
P
hello! i read your comment to wordsmith.org (AWAD issue #232 October 22 2006) and was very interested in the idea of "Great Books for a Lifetime's Reading" that your teacher, Miss Rosenfield, had given to you. was this a list she had created herself? if so i am wondering if you would mind sharing it with me? if it is an actual bibliography that i could buy somewhere perhaps you could point me in the right direction? i live in australia.
thanks in anticipation!

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
The Texas list is fascinating but not nearly as fascinating as a conversation with the person or persons who put it together, discussing the rationale for their choices, might be.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
The Utopia Texas list site, besides being interesting for what it shows in bookchoices, also gives to a foreigner a clear vieuw of how the school system is organized. At last I know these steps now: preschool,
elementary school, middleschool, highschool, college, university.
(don't know the age range of all these following up schools)
So different from ours, which gives elementary school right away from 4 up to age 12 , then a combination of highschool-college from 12 to 17/18 and from there on the choice between a higher professonial education and university. It interests me , as my two younger grandchildren are growing up in the U.S. And as my feelings about thia are ambivalent, being on this board helps and gives so much information (in between the recreational elements).

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 444 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith