Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
A
stranger
stranger
A
Would you please consider sharing this list "Great Books For a Lifetime's Reading" by Miss Rosenfeld?? I would love to see it and share it with my book club!
Thanks for your heartwarming post.

B
stranger
stranger
B
I had an English teacher in year 6 who gave us a similar list. If memory serves it was 6 or 7 pages, printed front and back on a mimeograph machine (OK, now I'm showing my age!). In a 9-week timeframe, we were required to pick 8 books and read one a week. It included books by Tolstoy, the Brontes, etc. I would give anything to have that list again! So, may I echo A_Hallab's request? Would you be willing to share Miss Rosenfeld's list with us all?

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
For those of us not familiar with the Australian education system, can you tell us typically how old a student is in year 6? If it is eleven years old I would say your list is a sure-fire way to quench any desire in a student to enjoy reading.

J
stranger
stranger
J
Goodness, Fadiman does not include any books of the Bible in his list, the Pentatuch, Psalms, Isaiah, Song of Solomon, the Gospels, both Corinthians, Galatians, Romans, Phillipians, Ephesians, et al.
But to keep on topic, the only books I know to have been stolen are college textbooks, in my husband's case a calculus text that was used for more than a year's worth of classes.

stranger
stranger
I love this post. I, too, would like to see MaryVirginia Rosenfeld's list. That is, if you don't mind sharing.

Thanks!

L
stranger
stranger
L
would dearly love to be able to compare ms. rosenfeld's list with fadiman's, if you don't mind going to the trouble! has anyone ever gotten a hold of helene hanff's list of indispensable reads? been trying to get a hold of that one for years...thanks!

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Hello, newcomers, and welcome! I am pleased but not surprised to see that a thread on books garners so much attention.
Leo, this site hints that the list you're looking for may be contained within 84, Charing Cross Road. (That is, the books she inquires about.) In a paragraph about that book, this person says, "...Hanff provides a perfect "wish list" of authors..." :
web page

This site has some interesting personal facts about Ms. Hanff and how this book came into being.
BBC

Oh--Ensorcellor, congratulations on having your post included in the AWAD mail (issue 232)!

Last edited by Jackie; 10/23/06 02:05 PM.
R
stranger
stranger
R
Ironic! I saw 84 Charring Cross Road as a movie and read Kwaidan as a book! Loved them both. And love this line as well:

"but alas, I was quickly unsuccessful..."

Clever people!

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Hello Retta! Pleased to meet a fellow Kwaidan reader. (I read it too as a book.) Now if I come 84 Charring Cross Road movie I will go see that.

#162540 10/24/06 12:39 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I didn't see the movie (didn't even know there'd been one), but the book has to be better.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,316
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 679 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,533
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith