About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Jackie Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
I have come from a...concert of sorts...at my church, and I just had to share about it. We have some members and regular visitors who are refugees from a couple of African countries. Some of them decided to organize a get-together where they could sing the way they're used to; I know our style is not lively enough for them, to say nothing of the language barrier for some.

To my surprise, they had invited other refugee or immigrant nationalities as well. We heard singing from Liberians, Congolese, Sudanese, and some Spanish-speaking folks...and then: six women walked in like they owned the place. Not with a look-at-me attitude, but with unconscious and graceful "presence". Against their dark brown skin, their patterned turquoise skirts, light turquoise saris, snow-white head and neck bands looked fantastic, and they were barefoot. They looked like queens, with their hair done just so and their heads held high. They were Rwandans, and proceeded to do a dance representing Queen Esther honoring her king. I was amazed, and couldn't help thinking that in other venues people would pay a lot of money to see that.
I couldn't stay to the end--the speakers were too loud for me (that is, I don't know the nationality)--but the last song on the program was listed as:
Nkolo Nzambe, Alleluia Jesus, commando wanyi, Celui qui est dans moi, Masiya akumama.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I would have loved to have been there. We were at a wedding a couple of months ago and witnessed Plena Y Bomba done by a professional group. The tradition is that the party isn't over until the last drum goes silent. We didn't get home until 4am.

Z
Zed Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Z
Sounds wonderful. Let me know if they plan another one.

B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
Ooo, if you like that, you should come up (sideways ) to Laval/Montréal during our World Choir Festival. They have choirs from all over the world singing in a tremendous variety of voices and styles.

If you're interested, I can look up the info.

Jackie Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,317
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 688 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,534
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith