Wordsmith Talk

About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
a. The area surrounding an ancestral manor occupied by those who rent cottages and land from the familial owner, from Father Steve, voted for by etaoin

b. special gouge used for faceplate turning on a wood lathe, from TEd, voted for by Alex Williams

c. European aquatic mole, found in Pyrenees and in Russia, from wikipedia and several other sources, voted for by tsuwm

d. an acronym for "DE406; Earth's Special Mars August Nexus" used by astronomers to refer to the August 27th opposition of Mars with Earth - the closest that Mars will approach Earth in about 60,000 years, from themilum; no votes

e. (sl.)A blue collar worker from the steel industry, specifically from Pennsylvania, USA; sent in by musick; no votes

f. a blithering idiot [after P. G. Wodehouse character Malcolm Desman]. From tsuwm; vote from Father Steve

g. industrial pressure roller to apply printed images to heavy backing in the manufacture of jigsaw puzzles. After Robert Desman, inventor, from Sparteye; votes from Annastrophic, Bingley and Elizabeth Creith

h. A litter used for local transport by important personages in the Ottoman empire, from Bingley; voted for by Sparteye.

i. The bar connecting the treadle and crank of a spinning wheel, from Elizabeth Creith, votes from musick, faldage, and Fiberbabe

j. Canadian sagebrush, from AnnaStrophic; voted for by themilum

k. soft-soled slipper typically worn indoors; from Alex Williams; voted for by Consuelo
- - - - - -

There was a tie between Sparteye’s contribution of industrial roller and Elizabeth’s bluff of a spinning wheel part. I was so taken with the latter that I told Elizabeth that it was certain to garner several votes; I almost voted for it myself and then remembered that I was the HM on this round.

SJMAXQ submitted a comment, but I went back and read it three times and did not see even a hint of a vote.

I ran across desman when I was googling something we had talked about here on line recently, though I now have no good memory what it was; I was afraid someone would have followed the same path I did. I think it had something to do with some endangered species in the Iberian Peninsula, something which is a good classification for the western version of this odd little animal.

TEd
A
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
A
From wikipedia : The Russian desman (Desmana moschata) is a small semi-aquatic mammal that inhabits the Volga, Don and Ural River basins in Russia, Ukraine and Kazakhstan. It constructs burrows into the banks of ponds and slow moving streams, but prefers small, overgrown ponds with abundance of insects and amphibians.

So desman really does have a burrow near the marketplace.

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Woohoo! C'mon, Elizabeth, we can have a gloating party.

T
veteran
veteran
T
Hmm...it seems strange that Musick and I submitted great definitions and didn't recieve any votes. I wonder why? Maybe the rest of you pigs have been eating your slop from a mutual trough.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Quote:

Hmm...it seems strange that Musick and I submitted great definitions and didn't recieve any votes. I wonder why? Maybe the rest of you pigs have been eating your slop from a mutual trough.

Sore loser. Oh, and thanks for your vote.

T
veteran
veteran
T
Quote:

Sore loser. Oh, and thanks for your vote.

Aw shucks, Annastrophic, no need to thank me, thats what friends are for.
Besides...now you owe me one.

E
addict
addict
E
Wow, Sparteye, did we take 'em in or what?! (Of course, you took me in, too - great definition). I must admit I was very chuffed to put anything over on Faldage and musick, and I was surprised our resident fiber-babe fell for it. OK, have I gloated enough? By the way, the part is really called a footman.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Quote:

I must admit I was very chuffed to put anything over on Faldage ...

Don't chuff up too big, EC. I hardly ever get these things right. I'm up there with Max on low scores.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Thank you, eta.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Quote:

SJMAXQ submitted a comment, but I went back and read it three times and did not see even a hint of a vote.

Probably because there wasn't one.

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 442 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith