Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
M
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
M
Sorry to be be a bore, folks, but I have just stumbled across this abso-spiffing-lutely nifty word, and wanted to use it. It came up in an email about infixes, apparently a a grammatical feature much used in Inuktitut (Oh, NicholasW, wherefore art thou? Examples please) How cool is it that there's a word for doing that?! And why do I suddenly have this overwhelming urge to talk like Ned Flanders?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What an unfreakingbelievably cool word.
but what does shaconian mean?

bridget=)

Ipsa scientia potestas est ~Bacon

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
You might enjoy this link, though some deduction is certainly required to glean meaning from the examples cited.

http:// http://www.cyberpat.com/shakes/rhet.html

i personally like anacoluthon, since it's so beautifully descriptive of my characteristically flighty manner of...oh, well nevermind.

bridget=)

M
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
M
Thanks, Bridget, I'll have to try that link later, it 404'd on me, even after removing the redundant http:// . Shaconian came up here shortly after you arrived, quite possibly inspired by your signature line. Try doing a search for shaconian, you only need to search the last couple of weeks.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
oh, you also have to take out the '?20%' that appears between the superflous http:// and the real one.

lemme try it again, so you won't have to go through all that trouble:

[link] www.cyberpat.com/shakes/rhet.html [/link]

bridget=)

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Date: 4/12/00 11:43:57 AM Central Daylight Time
the worthless word for the day is: tmesis

separation of the parts of a word by insertion of another word

e.g., abso-bloody-lutely
[or see "Pretty Woman" for Cinderella example]

M
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
M
Yup, after receiving it, I went to your site, and found it, but I wasn't subscribed on 12/4/00

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
separation of the parts of a word by insertion of another word

But what do you have if you separate parts of a word by the 18th letter of the alphabet? R-tmesis!

TEd
#16167 01/20/01 11:33 AM
J
jmh Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
J
>but I wasn't subscribed on 12/4/00

Well spotted Max, those dates get me all the time! So much so, that I've given up using pure numbers for dates - I use 12 April 2000, wherever possible these days.

I can cope with so many cross cultural differences but this one is a real pain in the ***, especially when buying airline tickets issued by American carriers - I always think that one day I'll turn up and my ticket will be wrong by months. Is there an international standard?

[ps - I've just checked and my United Airline issued tickets say - Date of issue: 11DEC00, so that probably is the international standard, ... unless tickets issued in the USA say DEC1100, ... no, probably not!]

#16168 01/20/01 06:14 PM
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
jmh : I've given up using pure numbers for dates - I use 12 April 2000, wherever possible these days......one day I'll turn up and my ticket will be wrong by months. Is there an international standard?

Don't know about a standard but my use of the 20 Jan 01 style goes back to 1965 ... the US Armed Forces
used that style to avoid confusion when dealing with its personnel's being deployed to various countries.
When I did civilian travels it just seemed to work better all around than the all numerical style and other variations in use around the globe.
Once you get used to it, it's easy.
wow

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 444 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith