Wordsmith Talk

About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
veteran
veteran

I might conceivably use one for a formal report, but never for an email or casual note - and most of my notes are casual. The first thing I figure out in any new software is how to turn that bullcrap off.

Tools->Spelling and Grammar
Select the Options button
Uncheck the "Check spelling as you type" box
Uncheck the "Check grammar as you type" box

I haven't had that exact problem with the french date, but this should completely eliminate MS Word's innumerable helpful suggestions. Now, if you help me locate the "stuff this up Bill's backdoor" switch, I'd be very grateful.

B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
eta, where do I find prefs? I've checked all the buttons and can't find anything like that.

D
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
D
Bing: Why don't you want to know when you've misspelled

Last edited by dalehileman; 07/13/06 03:25 PM.

dalehileman
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Quote:

eta, where do I find prefs? I've checked all the buttons and can't find anything like that.

oy. let's see. in your main computer preferences. umm, what's it called? look for Date and Time or maybe clock?

hopefully a Windows user will pipe up here...

formerly known as etaoin...
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
YAY! Here's how to do it...

With your WORD program open, click on the "Insert" button on the toolbar.

In the drop-down window, click on "AutoText"

In the new drop-down window that opens, click again on "AutoText". An "Auto Correct" window opens ups.

Click on the "AutoText" tab.

At the top of the sheet that comes to the front, remove the check in the box before "Show AutoComplet suggestions"

and voilą, no more automatic entering of the numbered date after you've written in the year.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
glad you found it, Bel!

formerly known as etaoin...
veteran
veteran
One can always use spell check post facto to edit. The way I write - and the way many people write - is to get all of their thoughts down first and then go edit it. I don't like seeing a lot of distracting "ink" on the "page" while I'm getting my thoughts down.

OTOH, I seldom use the spell check even afterwards, unless it's a formal document.

I never use the grammar check under any circumstances.

Minor misspellings are almost never important to effective communication. Seeing a few of them reminds me that it's a human at the other end.

Last edited by TheFallibleFiend; 07/14/06 12:25 PM.
D
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
D
Bel thank you for that rundown. I had always wondered how to get there and get rid of that damn date; so I have ensconced your procedure for future ref

Fal: I often do that when I'm writing a complex followup because otherwise Bill sometimes deletes your ebntire composition, but it's a lot more work to jump around from one venue to another

dalehileman
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
Quote:

Bing: Why don't you want to know when you've misspelled

I have no objection to knowing when I've misspelled something (though it does try to correct things that aren't wrong and its vocabulary is pitiful), but I do dislike its insertion of the wrong date all the time.

THANK YOU, BEL. PRAISE BE TO THE GREAT GOD MARDUK.

Bingley
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B

My pleasure Bingley.

I was extremely happy to have found the solution after a whole lot of "trialing and erroring". You know the type - when you click something off, try to see if it fixed the problem, nope, click it back on and click something else off, see if it fixed the problem...

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 444 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith