About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
#160604 06/22/06 04:22 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
well, I'm not sure what you did, but at least the screen isn't widey anymore...

formerly known as etaoin...
#160605 06/22/06 04:41 PM
D
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D
eta: What I did, as mentioned above, was to go through the entire forum, followup by followup, inserting returns at arbitrary points in order to curtail the longer lines.

As I mentioned on the previous page, in a time when checking the spelling in an entire file of many thousand words then transmitting to a recipient clear off in Australia; or programming an airborne missle to strike a distant target within a few inches; occupies only milliseconds...

...that keeping the length of a line within the window couldn't be done automatically, by means of what I think they call "software"

My abject apologies to haters of persiflage

dalehileman
#160606 06/22/06 05:12 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
ok. thanks for the effort dale.

did you know there's a "Main Index" link near the top center of the page? saves a lot of clicking.

formerly known as etaoin...
#160607 06/22/06 05:47 PM
D
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D
Thank you eta, you're indeed a very patient fellow and I commend you

I have run across one other blogger with an equal degree of tact and forbearance, on a board which protocol forbids me to mention, but his name is Phil and he lives in Germany

...while I am dalehileman@verizon.net

Thank you also for the tip on the links at the top. I know about them, but Bill Gates has a trick up his sleeve to discourage you from using them. When you use a link to the forum list, Bill deletes the highlighting on the forum you were using...

...so if you're an old fart like me you will have forgotten, and will have to laboriously open each forum to figure out where you were

So I'll do the 98 clicks. Usually it doesn't take that long

Last edited by dalehileman; 06/22/06 05:52 PM.

dalehileman
#160608 06/22/06 11:00 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
keeping the length of a line within the window couldn't be done automatically It IS done automatically for internet addresses, when you click on the URL button under Instant UBB Code. * **

*These are only visible when you hit the Reply button on a post; they are not visible if you just go to the Quick Reply box at the bottom of the page...until and unless you hit the Preview button.

**When I click on the URL button, I, at least, get a little box that already has an http:// in it; and I have to remember to delete that if I want my link to work. I assume (ouch) that everyone's works that way...?

#160609 06/23/06 02:13 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
yes, you get an http:// in the entry box when you click on URL; but (at least in Firefox) it is selected (highlighted) and if you have copied a link you want to use you simply paste it into the box and you, in effect, overwrite the http:// that's there.

or, there's no need to remember to delete it if you consistently copy and paste your links in this way.

#160610 06/23/06 11:52 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Tsuwmn, mea culpa, i have a head like a sieve, (or perhaps its like a colander) and once again, i have forgotten a rhetorical term.
–it’s the one for the process of saying or referring to thing, by "not referring" to them--as in "far be it from me to mention my opponent’s sexual escapades" (and so remind every one of the time the opponent was caught in an embarrassing position)

i've noticed its use here has increased, with the phrase
on a board which protocol forbids me to mention popping up in several threads of late.

i've noticed it partly because forbids--that word sticks me like a pin. i don't think things are forbidden here. (we ain't go no stinken rules) it's just, many behaviors, are generally agreed on, for a variety of reasons, to be, our norm.

Of course any one can learn our general accepted behaviors, and generally behave the same way, or they can ask us to change our behaviors.(or they can even flaunt or general rules--but there are consiquences, eventually)

have we changed? in the years i have posted here, i must say yes--in some parts i am sad about the changes, (we are more professional, less open and friendly) and will we continue to change--most definately! but what i don't think will change is: we don't change on demand, but as a slow evalution.

#160611 06/23/06 12:42 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I just discovered this--thank you! I really owe you a lot, you know that?

Helen, you're right: we ARE much less friendly and open than we used to be. Sigh; 2002 cost us trust that we will never again have. But we'd have probably had enough spoilers since then to have changed us anyway. But MAN, that first year-and-a-half were great, weren't they?
Sorry--I can't think of the word you're looking for, either.

#160612 06/23/06 01:20 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
apophasis
a figure of speech which alludes to something specific by denying that it will be mentioned
(e.g., "I won't mention the fact that Representative Smith has been supporting three children from adulterous relationships.") [compare paraleipsis]

but I always like to include this calming advice when providing these: "The subtle distinction between two terms [of rhetoric] is completely irrelevant."

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 302 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith