Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#160532 06/17/06 12:59 AM
tsuwm Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
okay, so this word is from Italian, not German.
but I used it for Friday's wwftd, and I got this from our friend Emanuela:

Hi!
I never heard this word, perhaps since I don't drink wine.
It sounds a word from Tuscany, indeed.

Some comments:
1) We always eat using a tablecloth on the table, so the most likely possibility is the mark over the tablecloth (if someone says "on the table", I bet that he is meaning "covered by the tablecloth")
2) Very clearly, there is the root "culo", it means "ass", and it is a not polite word. The reason should be that the "culo" = "bottom" of the glass leaves the mark.
For this reason, I feel the word as very "popular" and not "elegant"

Ciao
Emanuela

#160533 06/21/06 12:20 PM
B
old hand
old hand
B
Interesting word. It is usually mugs that cause unsightly rings on wooden furniture, so it seems logical that these rings refer more to tablecloth rings. Course, there are some who find such signs of use to be a likeable way to personalise their furniture.

Pet peeve: I can't stand it if I am served a beer (or any drink) without a mat if the table is glass - awful. I am generally a fan of coaters/beer mats, they keep the table from quickly becoming a sticky mess when more than 4 or so people a sitting at one all night. And if wine is had at a meal it should, IMO, be served with a (paper) serviette underneath. Okay, enough of revealing my pedantic side.

#160534 06/21/06 07:26 PM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
Just curious...

The only places I've seen wine served with a napkin beneath it is in bars, BY? Do you mean at home if you don't have a tablecloth or all the time?

I'm sure I could find a coaster somewhere if pressed, but we never use them in our house. When folks come over, I always have a tablecloth, and when Hubby and I eat, we use placemats.

I agree about the yucky sticky glass tops though... Unfortunately, our living-room tabletop does get sticky, but it's from the Big dog licking anything he sees off of it (he's a bit drooly). The Small dog isn't tall enough.

B
old hand
old hand
B
> Do you mean at home if you don't have a tablecloth or all the time?

I meant when out for a drink. Most restaurants have tablecloths, of course, which I am not personally fussy about, but if it's going to be without...
I have often heard people gauge a eateries by whether they have tablecloths or not.

B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
You know, it's funny how you often do things without realizing it. I've been thinking about this, now that you've mentioned it.

Whenever I'm out for dinner or in a bar, I do have a tendency to put a napkin under my glass whenever it has condensation on it (i.e. a cold beer on a hot day) if it is on a wooden surface.

With a glass surface though, I'll generally wipe the glass and put it down directly on the surface.

I wonder where we get our habits.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Quote:

whenever it has condensation on it

Where I live, that's every day. One paper napkin is not sufficient.

B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B

O.k, o.k, Miss "it's so nice where I live that glasses have condensation on them all the time". You do know we've had rain for about two months now.

Mumble, mumble, grumble, grumble!

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
how about these?

formerly known as etaoin...
B
old hand
old hand
B
Then you'll have people spilling their tea/coffee on purpose...

- 'Look at the pretty patterns!'

- 'Um, that's handwoven silk'

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 302 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith