Print Thread
#160461 06/15/06 07:19 AM
tsuwm Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
here then are the results for speight, with comments and notes to follow:

a) a long handled gaff used in sport fishing [consuelo] etaoin, belMarduk

b) German mythological bird resembling a yellow-bellied sapsucker [AnnaStrophic]

c) a channel sewn into a corset to hold a whalebone (baleen) stiffening strip [Elizabeth Creith] Alex W, wofa

d) a bridge which requires payment of a toll at both ends. [musick]

e) to make clear or clarify; elucidate [Kelly123]

f) the green woodpecker (obs.) [OED2] ASp
The green woodpecker, Gecinus viridis. [Either repr. an unrecorded OE. *speht (*speoht), or a. MDu. or MLG. specht (Du. specht, WFris. specht, spjucht), = OS. speth (sic), OHG. speht (MHG. speht, speiht, G. specht): cf. Da. spætte, Norw. spetta, Sw. hackspett, and OF. espoit, espois (from Germanic). The ultimate affinities of the word are uncertain.] {there’s that WFris. again}

g) foul-mouthed [Bingley]

h) prediction, prophecy; augury, omen. (rare) [joe friday] Bingley, Elizabeth C, Kelly

i) a drying rack for turves [TEd Remington] Faldage, Marianna, themilum

j) a display window magic trick: An unhooked spigot is suspended from a height of about two feet by a single fishing line. Once turned on water rushes out from the spigot into a wash pan night and day for about a week. [themilum]

k) hardy wheat grown mostly in Europe for livestock feed [Marianna] Consuelo, A.

l) a collection, meeting, or assemblage, esp. one to elect a military officer from the ranks of enlisted men. (archaic) [Alex Williams] musick

m) (Scot.) late; lateness [wofahulicodoc]

n) a small wooden sluice for draining water from an overflow tank [Faldage] Ted, Jackie

o) a slew; a myriad; a vast quantity [WhitmanO'Neill]

NB:

• The startling bit is that there was a tie at the top (three votes ea.) between TEd R. and joe f. (breaking a long draught for joe); using the usual* tie-breaking procedures…
• a drying rack for *turves*??
• ASp voted for the woodpecker based seemingly on some odd bird association(?) to her submitted def’n. [but she was first (and onliest) to pick the correct def’n, thereby denying the hogmaster a sweep of top honors]
• I think Milo has lost his touch, or has lost touch, one.
• Excepting the birds [edit: and the waters], I don’t see any armils® (unless you count the more obvious relationship to the term spate, which didn’t get much play).

* arbitrary and capricious

-hogmaster ron

#160462 06/15/06 08:47 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I picked up that word on a trip to Ireland, I think. When I biked throughout Ireland I saw many times the pyramid stacks of peat drying in the sun, and when we were there three years ago I took a little train tour of a place they harvested the peat to produce electricity. Massive operation covering hundreds if not thousands of acres. We got a chance to try our hands and backs at cutting peat using the special shovels the Irish developed for the purpose. But I think I heard turves during my first tour.

TEd
#160463 06/16/06 01:28 AM
A
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
A
from the Online Etymology Dictionary

turf (n.)
O.E. turf, tyrf "slab of soil and grass," also "surface of grassland," from P.Gmc. *turb- (cf. O.N. torf, Dan. tørv, O.Fris. turf, O.H.G. zurba, Ger. Torf), from PIE base *drbh- (cf. Skt. darbhah "tuft of grass"). Fr. tourbe "turf" is a Gmc. loan-word. The O.E. plural was identical with the singluar, but in M.E. turves sometimes was used. Slang meaning "territory claimed by a gang" is attested from 1953 in Brooklyn, N.Y.; earlier it had a jive talk sense of "the street, the sidewalk" (1930s), which is attested in hobo use from 1899, and before that "the work and venue of a prostitute" (1860). The verb is attested from c.1430, originally "to cover (ground) with turf." Turf war is recorded from 1950s.

#160464 06/16/06 02:58 AM
W
Carpal Tunnel
Online Content
Carpal Tunnel
W
...obvious relationship to the term spate, which didn’t get much play

"Spät," pronounced shpate, is German for "late." No one took the bait, is all!

#160465 06/16/06 01:10 PM
A
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
A
Quote:

...obvious relationship to the term spate, which didn’t get much play

"Spät," pronounced shpate, is German for "late." No one took the bait, is all!

How is lateness related to a spate [(a) : a large number or amount <a spate of books on gardening> (b) : a sudden or strong outburst]?

addict
addict
It was mentioned, as "...sounds plausible as a foreign or archaic spelling of 'spate'..." but somehow not as credible as some of the other fake answers.

#160467 06/16/06 03:42 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I'm a beginning birder. Maybe what happened is I ran across the word in one of my bird books and remembered it enough to construct a daffynition and then to recognize the real one. There's a word for that.

I'm ready -- bring it on!

#160468 06/16/06 09:08 PM
A
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
A
Quote:

There's a word for that.

Bird-brained?

#160469 06/16/06 11:30 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Quote:

Quote:

There's a word for that.

Bird-brained?

Which takes on a whole new meaning given recent discoveries about birds' mental capacities. Can you remember where you hid 15,863 pine nuts last fall?

#160470 06/17/06 11:24 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
At the price of pine nuts these days I know where every damned one of 'em is. Put up in a high cupboard where the kids cannot get at them for snacks!

TEd

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,316
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 471 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,533
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith