Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
zmjezhd Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Does that make me an ignoramus?

Yes, it does. That's the great thing about prescriptivism. You're wrong, and I'm right. No, but, seriously, I was kidding. Gifted is as valid as orientated. Gee, it's fun to be a descriptivist again.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
zmjezhd Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
I DO take exception to its use to mean "gave".

Yes, thank you for proving my point. Yes, indeed.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
zmjezhd Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
I'm with you and tED and Faldage.

No, you're wrong, Milo. As wrong as you can possibly be. You've never been right. Not now, or never. Go back to counting birds.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
enthusiast
enthusiast
*walks into the thread with a full-plate*

Uh yeah, you said it yourself-- these words have been with us for a long time. What gets to me is those words that are mutilated by new (nonsensical) definitions, like "props" (i.e. respect, recognition). Please, don't ever give me props, I stand well-enough on my own.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I'm with Max.

formerly known as etaoin...
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Quote:

You and tED and Faldage like meaning over structure, and zmjezhd and Capital Kiwi like structure over meaning.

I'm with you and tED and Faldage.

Sorry Milo, I was commenting on the quality and forcefulness of the argument, not the content.

Personally, I think that if a word like "gifted" is applied to bright children for long enough, then it assumes that meaning . The use of "gifted" has shifted or been added to for long enough for the new meaning to "stick" IMHO.

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
old hand
old hand
Excuse me, but your battle cry reminds me somewhat of Don Quijote's attack on windmills:
There is absolutely no need to accept a verb "to gift" in order to approve of the adjective "gifted". There are plenty of adjectives on -ed which were formed from nouns without passing through the verb stage: e.g. strongheaded, bearded, grey-haired...

zmjezhd Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
There is absolutely no need to accept a verb "to gift" in order to approve of the adjective "gifted".

The OED1 does just that for both gifted and bearded, but that is because the verbs to gift and to beard have existed these four or five centuries.

Under the enter for -ed 2, the suffix that is applied to nouns substantive, such as blue-eyed and diseased, there is a great quotation from Coleridge apropos the suffix: "I regret to see that vile and barbarous vocable talented ... The formation of a participle passive from a noun is a license that nothing but a very peculiar felicity can approve." [from Table Talk 1836]

But I love your invocation of Don Quixote's tilting against windmills as an apt image of grammar mavens railing against the very nature of language.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
And what, you may well ask, does gift as a verb offer that give doesn't?

Well, for one thing, gift definitively states that it is a gift and return is not expected. I could give you a book and expect you to return it at some time in the near future or to pass it on to someone else. If I gift you the book, it is yours to keep. It all depends on whether you value precision in the language.

I
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I
Quote:

Excuse me, but your battle cry reminds me somewhat of Don Quijote's attack on windmills:
There is absolutely no need to accept a verb "to gift" in order to approve of the adjective "gifted". There are plenty of adjectives on -ed which were formed from nouns without passing through the verb stage: e.g. strongheaded, bearded, grey-haired...

I kinda like "to stronghead," W, thanks.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,316
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 419 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,533
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith