About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
#159351 07/05/06 12:08 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Puce is wonderfully descriptive name (tho not one found on tubes of paints!)

puce is the color of a flea belly, after it has engorged itself and is full of blood. its a lovely taupe/red/brown color that defies descriptions--except at puce!

#159352 07/05/06 01:05 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Quote:

Puce is wonderfully descriptive name.

of troy.
Not on tubes, but is it used as a real color name in some field of action?
The description makes me want to see it. The road to take: get flea, let it feed on your blood, magnifying glass at hand,freeze it by hypnotising it for a good close look? Do you pronounce it the french or the english way? Sorry, this subject really is a never ending story to me.Really love it.

#159353 07/05/06 01:22 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Quote:

Cerulean isn't a descriptive name?

Sorry, I still have trouble to find my way back to the forum and missed your reaction. What does cerulean mean in english? I know it in our language as ceruleum with an M and exept that it sounds very old latin-like to me I would not know what it means in a descriptive way. Hope you could tell me. Do you know what it means in latin?

#159354 07/05/06 01:33 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
do you have access to a pantone color set or book?
it is color 19-1518
is in the same shades as sesame, (tint), henna (the color of the roots/plant material,) rootbeer & cinnamon)all of these browns have a redish undertone.

its a very warm (redish) shade, that is very flattering to most skin tones.
its certainly used in fashion (at times) (fabrics, yarns, trims) --the term puce came up just about a month ago, at one of my knitting groups. the person who was knitting descriped her yarn as puce, and described the source of the name, i arrived a few minutes later, and was asked to define puce, (and gave the same description, and pointed out the yarn being used (as puce.)-no one else in the group knew the color by name, or the source of the name of the color. (but they were all certain i would know)

i say to rhyme with RUSE (a desception) Its really a lovely color(in spite of how its described!)

#159355 07/05/06 05:33 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
P.S to former post.cerulean.
The name indeed comes from latin 'caelum'= sky , so are you right! It is a descriptive name.

The color itself is known only from the beginning of the nineteenth century.
Like a lemon is never purely 'lemon yellow', the sky is never purely cerulean 'sky' blue.

#159356 07/05/06 05:59 PM
addict
addict
Quote:

...And what color is this?

That one is unfortunately best characterized (but translated to polite terms) as 'canine spoor brown'.

#159357 07/05/06 06:19 PM
Z
Zed Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Z
Helen a very accurate description of Puce unfortunately the question was about cerulean. which has nothing to do with fleas that I know of.
I am not sure how you pronounce ruse but I would rhyme puce with chartreuse (or juice)

#159358 07/05/06 07:09 PM
addict
addict
Quote:

Stupid crossword... how can "coral" mean "soft pink"? I mean, coral (reefs?) vary in colour. And, no definition in my dictionary conforms to pink nohow! just stupid...stupid crossword... right? they got it wrong... I should complain. I should.

Interesting. Here is a vaguely related excerpt from an obscure work:

I also work crossword puzzles but too often find them annoying at the same time. I wonder who invented the rule about that diagonal bilateral symmetry that seems to be in most of them. I sort of like that part. I could be a good crossword puzzle author. Certainly I could write more than two puzzles in a series that do not include ERIE, EERIE, SST, EKES, ERR, or NEE. I would never include anything from the ‘words of the bad songwriter’ list such as O’ER, E’EN, and E’ER [more on this later]. An absolute ban would also apply to the ‘crossword puzzle writer favorite stupid words I hate’, including: AVER, TAM, RES, and ‘word stumps’ like ISM and ADE. I swear any puzzles I ever write will not include ONER, APER, UKE, or SIB. Finally, I would not use foreign words without spelling them correctly. Even I know that there are no such Spanish words as SENORA or NINO, or any AÑTIC or BAÑAL in English, and that LLORRAR has only five letters. In spite of all this, I suspect I do not have much chance of getting the job. I never see any want ads for ‘crossword author’. Maybe there is some kind of crossword puzzle writer dynasty no one else can break into. I would at least expect them to have secret identities like comic book heroes, out of fear that someone would get after them with a bat.

#159359 07/05/06 09:08 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
word
word
word
word
word trying to find out it works by
word making a little curveless rainbow
word
word
word

#159360 07/06/06 12:30 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Quote:

Quote:

Stupid crossword... how can "coral" mean "soft pink"? I mean, coral (reefs?) vary in colour. And, no definition in my dictionary conforms to pink nohow! just stupid...stupid crossword... right? they got it wrong... I should complain. I should.

Interesting. Here is a vaguely related excerpt from an obscure work:

I also work crossword puzzles but too often find them annoying at the same time. I wonder who invented the rule about that diagonal bilateral symmetry that seems to be in most of them. I sort of like that part. I could be a good crossword puzzle author. Certainly I could write more than two puzzles in a series that do not include ERIE, EERIE, SST, EKES, ERR, or NEE. I would never include anything from the ‘words of the bad songwriter’ list such as O’ER, E’EN, and E’ER [more on this later]. An absolute ban would also apply to the ‘crossword puzzle writer favorite stupid words I hate’, including: AVER, TAM, RES, and ‘word stumps’ like ISM and ADE. I swear any puzzles I ever write will not include ONER, APER, UKE, or SIB. Finally, I would not use foreign words without spelling them correctly. Even I know that there are no such Spanish words as SENORA or NINO, or any AÑTIC or BAÑAL in English, and that LLORRAR has only five letters. In spite of all this, I suspect I do not have much chance of getting the job. I never see any want ads for ‘crossword author’. Maybe there is some kind of crossword puzzle writer dynasty no one else can break into. I would at least expect them to have secret identities like comic book heroes, out of fear that someone would get after them with a bat.

Add EPEE, ETUI, OLEO, OLIO and a few others to that list and we'll form a club.

Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,316
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 621 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,533
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith