About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 10 of 11 1 2 8 9 10 11
#158910 05/10/06 10:11 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
My avatar is my own picture and I would be very angry if someone else used it. CK put up another avatar on May 8, one of his own design, and Aramis11 co-opted it immediately. That is not a mistake, that is willfullness. Is it any wonder CK is angry?

#158911 05/10/06 10:31 AM
I
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I
The avatars serve not only for self-identification, but for identification of self to others. It is confusing when someone uses an avatar associated with someone else.

As might be expected, Cap picked a good one; so it is unremarkable that Aramis11 adopt it. But when it was suggested that this was poor etiquette, he stubbornly refused to stop. Understanding, probably, that Cap's replacement Avatar was aimed at him, in another burst of poor form he, his rebuttal consisted of taking that one, also. That is twice rude, and once 'theft.'

While all this may evidence a hitherto unsuspected sense of humor lurking beneath Aramis11's generally unfriendly tone, it amounts to poor etiquette. And while an apology might have been proper and put an end to the controversy, he does seem to have backed off of Cap's Avatars. So I guess once everyone's had their say it would be best to let it go.

Best case scenario remains an apology from Aramis11, which would probably put an end to all this. Here's hoping.

Last edited by inselpeter; 05/10/06 10:45 AM.
#158912 05/10/06 12:31 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
well said, insel.

formerly known as etaoin...
#158913 05/12/06 06:08 PM
addict
addict
Quote:

Problem is that once you upload your avatar it becomes part of the stock avatar pool with no indication of any sort that it is considered proprietary by the uploader or even, as is mine, copyrighted by the uploader. As far as I know there is no way for any of us with proprietary or copyrighted avatars to so indicate or to place them in an otherwise unavailable pool or to remove them from the stock pool once put there.

That is exactly the case. When signing into this bulletin board, Aramis merely selected from the set that was offered, unaware it could provoke attacks from other posters.

ÅΓª╥┐↕§
#158914 05/12/06 06:26 PM
addict
addict
Quote:

CK put up another avatar on May 8, one of his own design, and Aramis11 co-opted it immediately. That is not a mistake, that is willfullness.

He deliberately linked to my avatar knowing perfectly well what he was doing. Unless he's really dumb as well as being a thief.

Never seen so many false accusations based on assumptions! Seems like trying to divine motivations as if psychic is what is really dumb. Apology for what? Using the site as it was designed without knowing any of these proprietary claims? All Aramis did was select from a set offered and only ever did so once. And they have apparently all been deleted. Is 'sheesh' a real word?

ÅΓª╥┐↕§
#158915 05/12/06 06:42 PM
N
addict
addict
N
Why is Aramis speaking of himself in the third person? I have no hidden agenda and am not entering into the avator discussion. Just curious.

#158916 05/12/06 09:59 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Quote:

All Aramis did was select from a set offered and only ever did so once.

Aramis, please. I saw Capital Kiwi's avatar in your replies on May 8th. Obviously you selected twice, once in February when you first posted and again on May 8th of this year, not even twelve hours after CK changed it. That willful deed is what you must apologize for.

#158917 05/12/06 10:35 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
The pictures for Avatars are not copied over and over again, but merely refered to in the page by URL. Changing that file will change the avatar of any member who chose that image from the common pool.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
OK! Zmjezhd has found what happened, but I'd like to offer my services as a professional tech writer to explain for everyone to understand. When Capital Kiwi entered his first avatar, a picture of a kiwi in black and white, that image entered a data base with an association to his member number here. I just went and looked and that number is 1622. When Aramis11 saw it in the stock list he liked it so he used it.

Then, when Capital Kiwi changed to the one he currently uses, his upload deleted the first kiwi picture and changed it to the current picture (the one with almost irrefutable evidence of NZers' complete ineptitude with guns). Sorry, Cap, I had to throw that in. Here in NC when we shoot a sign we get body hits every time; after all the sign ain't movin'. And that automatically changed Aramis's avatar, so to the casual observer it looked as though he had stolen it.

I don't think that's what happened. I think it was a comedy of errors. If you go above to almost any of the avatars and right click on the picture you will see a properties pulldown. Capital Kiwi's now refers to his picture on another web site, so it does not show up in the stock pictures. But I am willing to bet a nickel that at the time this controversy started the new avatar was on the stock avatar listing here.

I agree there is an apology due. The apology appears to be due to Aramis11, not the other way around.

I have said this before and I will say it again. When there is something that you don't like, something that upsets you, something that pisses you off, TAKE IT PRIVATE!!!

There have been a whole bunch of hurt feelings here that could have been avoided by taking it private. I repeat. TAKE IT PRIVATE!!!

TEd
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Many thanks to both of you for clearing up this mystery. Aramis, please accept my most humble apologies.

Page 10 of 11 1 2 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,317
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 583 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,534
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith