Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 10 11
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
> everyone of the contributors except two have voted

~ so should we take a guess at who-posted-what before the curtain is swept away...?!

T
veteran
veteran
T
Quote:

> everyone of the contributors except two have voted

~ so should we take a guess at who-posted-what before the curtain is swept away...?!

Great idea, Maverick, but since six open liners were contribuited by Awaders of the female pursuasion and six other open liners were written by those who have persuations that are more pointly male, it follows that we can therefore determine the sexual circumstance of the real author of the She's On First "open liner" by sexual delimitation of the thirteen "open liners" by the process of elimination.

I'm good at this so I'll go first...

AnnaStrophic, BelMarduk, Consuelo, Elizabeth Creith, inselpeter, Jackie, maverick, musick, Sparteye, TEd Remington, themilum, WhitmanO'Neill. Plus, of course, the real author.

A) I never thought, back in the days when my mother would fussingly wash the streaks of sweat and dirt off my face, that my determination to win at all costs would ever get me more than the fleeting attention of one of my teammates' older brothers. FEMALE

B) Long before women were burning their bras, and marching for equal rights, a small group of women were striking a blow for equality, one home run at a time. FEMALE

C) Sure, if I had the opportunity to do it all over again, I'd do it in exactly the same way -- well, except for one thing. FEMALE

D) "Dreamer." FEMALE

E) Sliding spike-high into first after a pick-off attempt wasn't really a routine play, but those lovely bare legs were such tempting targets, and bled so easily. BRUTE

F) "Stupid Major League equipment rules!", Karen snorted to herself in irritation as she struggled to wear the athletic supporter. MALE

G) The train conductor entered the bar car calling out "Next stop, Chicago". FEMALE

H) The ball seemed to be hanging against the azure sky, impossibly far yet as threatening as a comet, like the whole promise of her life coming rushing towards her – and as if from the echoing passage of her far-off childhood she could hear her dad yelling “CATCH it Bunny! Catch it!” FEMALE

I) Timothy Michael Curry, known to baseball statistics as T. M. Curry and to his old teammates as Curry Powder, or just plain Powder, sat on the barren bleachers and wiped the sweat off his neck. MALE

J) At age thirteen little Olga Wilhite, tall and strong and quick of eye and reflex, did not sell her soul to the devil as had her famous great-uncle, Cy Slocum, a six hundred game winner with a 0.92 earned run average for a five year period with the Saint Louis Browns - no, pretty little Olga Wilhite sold her sweet little soul to a modern day demon that was much worse. MALE

K) The count was three balls and two strikes, and with two outs in the bottom of the ninth inning the St. Louis Trojans were down seven to five in this the very first game of the season. MALE

L) He's gonna throw at me, said "Baby" Ruth McGonigal to herself as the pitcher went into his windup, I know 'cause most of them do that even when they know the umpire's watching for it. MISTREATED FEMALE

M) It was a perfect day for a game, but then, it was always a perfect day for a game. MALE

Ah ha! Seven out of thirteen...conclusive proof!
The writer of the book She's ON First is a woman.

E
addict
addict
E
I like mav's suggestion!

A
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
A
I cast my vote for C.

I
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I
Do you get points if a might-have-been votes for your entry?

A
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
A
I might have been mistaken when I guessed which one was bona fide.

I
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I
"Female"

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Glad to see non-contributors voting,

I failed to understand that non-contributors were welcome to guess. Silly me.

I vote for B as in baseball.

Faldage Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Quote:

Glad to see non-contributors voting,

I failed to understand that non-contributors were welcome to guess. Silly me.

I should have stated that explicitly right up front. I just assumed it from the fact that non-contributors' votes were always accepted in HogWash®. The only question is whether their votes count as much as contributors' votes. Since I'm setting the precedent here (FWTW) I'm saying they count equally.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I'll kast my vote for K

Page 3 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 10 11

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,271
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (A C Bowden), 285 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,502
LukeJavan8 9,915
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith