#156634 03/06/06 02:30 AM
P
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
P
Quote:

apophasis / paraleipsis

Can anyone explain the difference between these two words?

#156635 03/06/06 03:50 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
for all things rhetorical try silva rhetoricae.

(I can't remember these distinctions myself; I swear by this anonymous quote from a college classics department chairman, "The subtle distinction between two terms [of rhetoric] is completely irrelevant.")

#156636 03/06/06 03:58 AM
P
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
P
Well, thanks all the same.

I do know that "paraleipsis" is usually in the dictionary, while "apophasis" is usually not. So maybe the latter is just a rare synonymn for the former. This assumption sometimes turns out to be false, but in this connexion, I absolutely (and paraleipsistically) refuse to mention "synecdoche" and "metonymy".

#156637 03/06/06 11:20 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I've never had any problem distinguishing between synedoche and metonymy. I just never remember which is which.

#156638 03/06/06 12:41 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
Presumably you mean cataphasis rather than apophasis? ~ the differenc between affirmation and denial. I share the regular puzzlement over these niceties of rhetorical figures: the examples offered don't always seem to me to well illustrate what the speaker claims they do.

The pair of cataphasis and paralipsis I understand to be really just a mattter of degree of emphasis: cataphasis merely states whilst claiming not to so do ("I will refrain from mentioning my opponent's diminutive stature"), whilst paralipsis seems more ironic in tone ("it would be cruel to draw attention to my opponent's diminutive height, which clearly has no bearing on his wish for smaller doorways").

Fong's pair are a typical example of classifications that, not only do I not remember the difference, but even when I look 'em up again I can't see clear water between!

#156639 03/06/06 02:00 PM
P
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
P
cataphasis: a kind of paralipsis in which one explicitly affirms the negative qualities that one then passes over.

apophasis: allusion to something by denying that it will be mentioned, as in I will not bring up my opponent's questionable financial dealings.

paraleipsis: pretended or apparent omission by which a speaker artfully pretends to pass by what he really mentions; as, for example, if an orator should say, I do not speak of my adversary's scandalous venality and rapacity, his brutal conduct...

Last edited by Person_Man; 03/07/06 01:06 PM.
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
> apophasis: allusion to something by denying that it will be mentioned, as in I will not bring up my opponent's questionable financial dealings.

Not according to the standard online definition, as linked by tsuwm:

apophasis (Gk, denial) The rejection of several reasons why a thing should or should not be done and affirming a single one, considered most valid.

#156641 03/07/06 12:52 PM
P
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
P
Quote:

> apophasis: allusion to something by denying that it will be mentioned, as in I will not bring up my opponent's questionable financial dealings.

Not according to the standard online definition, as linked by tsuwm:

apophasis (Gk, denial) The rejection of several reasons why a thing should or should not be done and affirming a single one, considered most valid.

What about this, this and this?

#156642 03/07/06 01:20 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
So if you knew the answer, pray tell why did you ask the original question?

TEd
#156643 03/07/06 02:33 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
Quote:

What about this, this and this?

Like much of the web these three links all draw on common data (in this case probably originally the American Heritage, I would guess). Mere cloning of data across sites neither validates nor invalidates its accuracy. The wiki link suggests the answer: Silva Rhetoricae is evidently giving a more technically accurate differentiation of terms based on its meaning in logical argument; indeed the external links at the foot of the wiki entry refer to the SR citation as an authority.

Apophasis was originally and more broadly a method of logical reasoning or argument by denial, a way of telling what something is by telling what it is not, a process-of-elimination way of talking about something by talking about what it isn't.

A useful inductive technique when given a limited universe of possibilites, the exclusion of all but the one remaining is affirmation through negation. The familiar guessing-game of "Is it bigger than a bread box?" is an example of apophatic inquiry.

This denotation has generally fallen into disuse and is frequently overlooked, although it is still current in certain contexts, such as mysticism and Negative theology. An apophatic theology sees God as ineffability and attempts to describe God in terms of what God is not.

PS: Michael, you may want to review your own site’s entry, since at the very least there appear to be two definitions, and you have the less worthless… (unless you judge duplicating the meaning of cataphasis makes this the more wwftd!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,322
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 159 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,535
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith