Wordsmith Talk

About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
C
C
You're correct, I believe. It's very definitely local idiom. People don't really think about it if they've lived in an area all of their lives. So when speaking with newcomers, it isn't apparent to them that it would confuse direction-giving. Add that to "Oh, to get to the mall you turn right at the Smith's house" not "Oh, to get to the mall you turn right on Rt. 648". Who the heck are the Smiths?

It makes the words "think before you speak" applicable in more than just relationships.

"Adversity is the whetstone of creativity"

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I've learned to question what is meant when someone tells me to go down (that didn't come out the way I meant it ) when giving me directions. The lack of correlation with compass points seems to be prevalent.

More confusing are all the regional idioms which require knowledge of local history and geography, but the integration of cultural references makes for richer exchanges. In Michigan, for example, our terms for each other -- yuper, fudgie and troll -- would make no sense to outsiders, but can identify the geographic origins of both subject and speaker.

#15627 01/16/01 04:44 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Sparteye: yuper= someone from the Upper Peninsula?
Can't guess fudgie and troll, unless a troll is someone who lives near all those lakes and rivers you have up there.
(Trolls for fish, that is.) I caught a Northern pike up there one time--scared the bejeebers out of me.

#15628 01/16/01 05:04 PM
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Exactly. A "yuper" is someone from the U.P.

The state is, geographically and economically speaking, divided into three parts: downstate is the lower half of the lower peninsula, which is heavily populated and is the center of manufacturing and government; up north is the upper half of the lower peninsula, which is mostly agricultural and recreational; and the UP, the whole of the upper peninsula, which has extraction industries such as lumber, mining, and hunting. The only point at which the two peninsulas meet is the Mackinac (pronounced Mak-i-naw) Bridge, a 5-mile long suspension bridge over the straits between Lake Michigan and Lake Huron. In these parts, we speak of "the bridge" without further need to identify which one.

There are a lot of tourists in the up north area, especially in the summer, and especially in the Traverse City area on the west side of the lower peninsula. For whatever reason, there is a fudge shop on every corner of the tourist-trap towns in that area, and many of the tourists walk around carrying boxes of newly purchased fudge. A "fudgie" is a tourist or new resident of the area (defined as anyone who hasn't lived in the area for at least 20 years).

To a yuper, a "troll" is anyone who resides in the lower peninsula: a troll lives under the bridge.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,328
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 763 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,539
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith