Next Thread
Print Thread
M
Mike_H Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
M
I have hit on a fun and useful way to teach, or give an after dinner speech using anagrams.

1. I prepared an outline of my talk.

2. I anagrammed (at www.wordsmith.org/anagram) a few of the key and a few simple words and phrases relevant to the talk and from the results chose a few useful and funny anagram words and phrases. I spent a few hours doing this and became quicker at it as I went along.

3. I collated the anagrams with relevant clues (but no solutions) as a handout (mostly easy and a few hard ones).

4. I wrote the talk and included the solution words in the talk.

5. I distributed to the audience copies of the handout, shortly before the talk (eg between entrée and mains), and explained that the answers would be contained in the body of my speech, which would be delivered after the main course.

6. The audience then worked in groups to try to solve the anagrams using the clues, while they ate their dinner.

7. I gave the talk.

8. At the end of the talk, we had an audience participation session, asking for members of the audience to suggest the solution to each anagram, one at a time.

It proved to be a very punchy technique. They all listened attentively to my speech, and admired the work I had done preparing it, although it was simpler than they thought with the help of the internet anagram server. It generated light hearted interaction with the audience.

If you use this technique, or adapt it, I would like to hear how you fare.

Have you already done this, or something like it ?
single choice
Votes accepted starting: 02/24/06 08:54 PM
You must vote before you can view the results of this poll.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
One could think of a third or even forth option to the survey but one is reluctant to suggest.

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 676 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith