Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#155846 02/18/06 02:30 PM
A
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
A
While two contributors have not yet voted, I'm going to go ahead and post the results for hoggin since more than one week has passed. The big winners (so far) were Faldage & sjmaxq, whose contributions garnered four votes each. Elizabeth Creith earned three votes. dxb was the only person to select the correct definition of hoggin, sifted gravel. (See for example, Hoggin path.) Here's a summary of the votes.

a) Sifted gravel (correct definition) Voted for by dxb

b) Rock outcropping in the wake of glacial retreat. (AnnaStrophic)

c) Unit of capacity equal to one half firkin. (Faldage) Voted for by sjmaxq, etoin, Father Steve, consuelo

d) Slang: a motorcycle that doesn't quite measure up to a Harley Hog. (tsuwm) Voted for by Jackie

e) Hoggin, or haughin: (Scots) a low lying meadow in a river valley. (dxb) Voted for by Elizabeth Creith

f) The stand in a brewery on which rests the large vessel for brewing and storing ale (the "hogshead") (wofahulicodoc) Voted for by Faldage

g) The barrel of ale provided for harvesters to toast the "old woman" (the last sheaf) after the harvest (Elizabeth Creith) Voted for by AnnaStrophic, musick, Owlbow

h) Colloquialism: ice cream with half the standard fat content (Owlbow)

i) A squaredance hoedown where the single men can claim their partners for the entire night by being first to ask the lady for her company. (WhitmanO'Neill) Voted for by milum

j) (noun): A now-obsolete wooden device used to remove the residue that builds up around the edges of cast-iron cookware. Consuela broke her hoggin when attempting to clean a singularly old and oft-used frypan. (gonoldothrond)

k) Street slang for bodybuilders who overuse the steriod "homogin". Overdosing occasionally leads to violence and aggression. (themilum)

l) To drive or go for a ride on a motorcycle without a specific destination. To go hoggin (musick)

m) A horned helmet (Logwood)

n) A box that will hold at least four hods of coal. (Jackie) Voted for by WhitmanO'Neill

o) The wool from a young, previously unshorn sheep. (sjmaxq) voted for by TEd, tsuwm, AniamL & wofahulicodoc

Last edited by Alex Williams; 02/18/06 08:18 PM.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
O goodie, I get to be first with the vote counting anomalies.

1) you've got milo voting twice - I don't think he actually voted for H; H was mentioned mostly cabalistically.

2) wofa, for one, also voted for O. (gotta give my cabal all the credit it deserves.)

3) I think that gives max at least four votes. I can't imagine how he's going to thank the cabal that got him this potential tie. (actually, max, I was bamboozled by my own reasoning; although, it could have been the cabala (or cabbala or cabbalah or kabala or kabbala or kabbalah, also qabbala or qabbalah) at work.)

A
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
A
Okay, thanks tsuwm. Corrections have been made.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
After I voted I googled the definition and was amazed to see it was wactually a word I had learnt many years ago in high school. There was a series of novels set in England about a family who started a drayage or cartage business and these novels followed the family through several generations. Somewhere in an early one there was a discussion about having to build their own roads using hoggin or possibly hauling hoggin for the company building the roads. Cannot now remember either the novels or the novelist, but it was my fist experience with dynastic novels and I was hooked big time on them.

TEd
T
veteran
veteran
T
Ho hum. Another Hogwash round that leaves more unasked questions unanswered than the original question that was first asked. Huh?

Anyway, just because the The Cabal was wrong this time can anyone prove to me that the Hogwash Cabal doesn't exist?

Why is gravel sifted? Gravel is sized by screening. And why the heck is so-called "sifted gravel" called "hoggin"?

It never stops does it.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
At the risk of stirring things up which are best left unstirred (at least that's my sediment) take a look at this, Milum.

http://www.pavingexpert.com/gravel01.htm

What cabal?

Sifting is screening. My sifter for flour has a screen in it. And the OED says hoggin is sifted or screened gravel.

Why is it called hoggin? Because golf was already in use.

All seriousness aside, according to the OED, hoggin perhaps comes from hogging, which is the term used in parts of England for the camber of a road which keeps water from collecting on the surface, so-called because of a resemblance to the curve of a hog's back. Couple that with the fact that many of the roads were gravel, and you can see how hoggin could come to be called that.

I just hope this hasn't left you in a hoggin daze. Unless it's Rocky Road, of course.

TEd
T
veteran
veteran
T
Thanks TEd, I plan to lay a walk to an out building I'm building this spring and your link supplies me with much needed information.

I thank you and Alex for all the hoggin information.

Seriously.

I
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I
Cool site, Ted.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
>What cabal?

I can only conclude that I'm the cabal, all unto myself.
which, come to think on it, only seems fair.

-joe (the original) hogmaster

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Quote:

>What cabal?

I can only conclude that I'm the cabal, all unto myself.
which, come to think on it, only seems fair.

-joe (the original) hogmaster

I wouldn't know. I use a satellite dish myself.

TEd
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,316
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 621 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,533
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith