Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Say it aloud several times, it is really pretty in American.
How does it sound with English, Aussie, Zild accent?

um... wow... *everything* sounds nice in an english or aussie accent [swooning emoticon]

bridget=)

Ipsa scientia potestas est ~Bacon

M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
In reply to:

Someone, sometime, somewhere said the most euphonious phrase in English is "cellar door."

Euphonious is not a word many would use to describe "Zild", but for me, "the cheque's in the mail" is even more euphonious than "cellar door."

D
stranger
stranger
D
Hi guys, I've been away awhile and I see that this thread has moved off of the "F" word, BUT I can't resist. I am a volunteer firefighter and one morning at a fire scene,(about 4:00 AM), when a piece of equipment broke, I heard the best use of the word F*ck that I have ever come across and I challenge you guys to top this one! The firefighter in question said, and this IS a direct quote: "The fuckin' fucker is fucked!" It absolutely said it all!

Cheers!

W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Poster: Max Quordlepleen : for me, "the cheque's in the mail" is even more euphonious than "cellar door."

For me, the check is in the mail causes a sinking sensation in the abdominal regions.
wow

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Wow, I recall hearing that same factoid, with the addition in one version that a non-English speaking immigrant couple named their daughter "Cellardoor" because they liked the sound.

On a related note, when I was very small I named one of my dolls "Kerosene." My parents thought it was hilarious, but I like the sound of the word.

S
S
There's a nightclub in Washington, DC called The Cellar Door. It was supposedley named for the phrase's aforementioned euphonia.

Euphonia? Euphonic characteristics? 'Cuz it sounded good? You get the picture.

#15574 01/26/01 04:57 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Doug:

OHMIGAWD. The memories THAT brings back. The Cellar Door was (perhaps still is) a place in Georgetown where we newly-graduated 18-year-olds went to have our first legal beer. It was literally in the basement of a building, and was the place where many a musical career got started. I saw PP&M there before they became world famous. Same for Aretha Franklin.

I always assumed it was named Cellar Door because it was in a cellar.

Ted

TEd
B
veteran
veteran
B
Doll named Kerosene
This is a true story, so help me God. When my wife was in nurse's training and doing her rotation thru OB/GYN, she met a new mother, a primipara (there's glory for you!), who named one of her twin girls Siphyllis (accent on 2nd syllable) because she thought it sounded so beautiful. The other? Gonnoriya, of course.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
who named one of her twin girls Siphyllis (accent on 2nd syllable) because she thought it sounded so beautiful. The other? Gonnoriya, of course

I could forgive the names, but not the spelling. Clap! Clap!

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Clap! Clap!

Ohmigawd! ROFKFIA!!!

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,317
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 596 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,534
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith