About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Anyone have a list of words that you can barely stand to hear uttered? A friend from college nearly goes into seizures when she hears the "oi" dipthong... needless to say, a group of us took it upon ourselves to torture her by repeating the phrase "moist oily boil wrapped in aluminum foil".

I have trouble with the words "dollop" and "youngster". Is this a shared neurosis, and if so, is there a word to describe this disorder?

M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
Welcome Fibrebabe I absolutely loathe the ubiquitous f*ck - not simply because its usage has degenerated from earthy to vulgar, but because it sounds ugly. It is used in a variety of hateful ways that degrade the basic meaning of the word, and the sound of it is the sound of fingernails across a blackboard, for me.

J
old hand
old hand
J
f*ck

I have to disagree Max, I think of it as a nice, crisp, succinct word.

Since having our thread on the word, I don't really like hearing discombobulated. Coming from people my age it sounds like they're stupid trying to sound intelligent.

W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Max wrote: I absolutely loathe the ubiquitous f*ck and then wrote It is used in a variety of hateful ways that degrade the basic meaning of the word,

and I couldn't agree more. To me it also degrades the person who uses it as a casual profanity. (Including myself)
{insert ashamed of herself blushing emoticon here}
Just seems to me that one should first learn to use the language before venturing on to the Dark Side ... but then if one truly knows the language ....
wow

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
the ubiquitous Monty Python lads covered this with their woody and tinny words (of which woody and tinny are examples thereof) -- I'm sure there is a link buried in the archives.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
The interesting thing about the "F" word (don't you just love the convolutions we go through to get around four little letters?) is that (a) it is entirely ubiquitous these days, and (b) it has actually lost its original meaning in most usage. "F*ck me!" is a common expression in Ozkiwitralasia (is that a valid neologism?), yet there are no sexual connotations intended by it or taken from it.

It is also no longer the sole domain of the rougher kind of male. I must admit, though, that I'm still coming to terms with women of good education (and presumably upbringing) telling others to "F*ck off" or "Get f*cked" without even breaking stride or considering it in any way out of the ordinary. Because, of course, it isn't out of the ordinary these days, far from it. I even heard my dear old Mum use it once when she managed to put her finger between the foot and base plate of her sewing machine and thereby stitch her finger to the fabric she was sewing ... which rocked me back on my heels more than the actual accident, which was messy enough! And she would have been older than WOW if she wasn't dead at the moment.

I think you can dislike it, but you're never going to get rid of it. I guess that in fifty years' time a board like ours will be discussing its etymology!

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
Avy Offline
old hand
old hand

The word "pain" itself does that to me.

(Trapped between quotes it has less effect though)

M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
Capital Kiwi stated I think you can dislike it, but you're never going to get rid of it. I guess that in fifty years' time a board like ours will be discussing its etymology!

Agreed. This thread is one that I feel very comfortable contributing to, due to its entirely subjective nature. The original post asked about words that inflict excruciating pain, and that one does for me. I have no intention of launching a campaign against the word, any more than against prioritise, which I hate with equal vehemence. Unschooled as I am, aesthetics, or my sense thereof, is the guiding force behind my use of language, and both those words are quite unbearably ugly to me.

R
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
R
"F*ck me!" is a common expression - - - - yet there are no sexual connotations intended by it or taken from it
I don't entirely agree with that. Over here, the equaly common expression of surprise/dismay, "F*ckin' Hell!!" is often greeted with the reply, " I certainly hope they do!"

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
"F*ckin' Hell!!" is often greeted with the reply, " I certainly hope they do!"

Which just goes to reinforce my comments on belief systems and updating them elsewhere!

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 444 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith