Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#155171 02/06/06 02:13 PM
E
addict
OP Offline
addict
E
Salmon day - one in which you spend all your time swimming upstream only to get f**ked and die in the end.

Only tsuwm got the correct answer. Themilum's patented gender-detector needs serious work, and, as you can see, he didn't know the answer after all. Musick gets the most points for fooling more of the people more of the time.

a. a Scottish fairy (Faldage) Bingley

b. lithe, supple (Chaucer) (Bingley)

c. [Old Norse] Highly ornate embroidery stitched to the neckline, cuffs or hem of a traditional costume using gold or silver thread. (musick) Alex Williams, Whitman O'Neill, Father Steve

d. the (usually) minimal amount of moss that grows on the north side of trees in northern hemisphere. (TEd) wofa, Owlbow

e. A mythic fish-like creature, common in heraldic designs from mediaeval Provençal. (sjmaxq) AnnaStrophic, Faldage

f. the liquid discharge that allows a spider to spin a web. (Whitman O'Neill) consuelo

g. A product derived from a glycoprotein found the jelly mass of frogs' eggs. Blended at moderately high temperatures with metallic oxides, it was formerly used in the manufacture of an acrylic-like painting medium (Owlbow) Fiberbabe

h. a young salmon on its first return from salt to fresh water (Elizabeth Creith)tsuwm

i. A finely-ground confectioners sugar made and used in the Netherlands. (Father Steve) musick, sjmaxq

j. An Irish folk dance where dancers reenact the story of the giant Finn MacCoul who is pursued by a Scottish giant. In an attempt to save her husband, Finn's wife, Oonagh, disguises him as his own baby. (themilum)Jackie

k. The bisque-like finish on fine Czech porcelain. (AnnaStrophic) etaoin, belMarduk

l. a slope, esp. one that is gentle or moderate (Alex Williams)

m. v., Old Scots. to milk an animal (Jackie)themilum

n. an alloy comprised of mostly copper and small amounts of silver and gold used mainly in fabricating jewelry in ancient Northern Europe (consuelo) TEd

p. A specialized fabric that has osmotic properties for use in aquaria (TEd's Wife)

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Heh--I was grinning up a storm, watching all the fuss over m being the "correct answer"!

Edit--just looked up gilse, because I was sure the correct answer wasn't--I thought these young salmon were smelt. Every dictionary I came to referred me to grilse.

Edit 2: "TEd's Wife"!? Peggy, was that you? Hel-LO!

T
veteran
veteran
T
I guess I'd best tell them about our little scheme, huh, Jackie.

You see folks, Jackie and I worked out a plan to insure that we each got at least one vote for our submission. It is called the "You show me yours and I'll show you mine" plan. Then, of course, I vote for hers and she votes for mine and any other votes we might get is gravy.

Pretty good plan, huh?

E
addict
OP Offline
addict
E
Quote:

Edit--just looked up gilse, because I was sure the correct answer wasn't--I thought these young salmon were smelt. Every dictionary I came to referred me to grilse.

"Gilse" is a variant. I originally came upon it in a book on terms of venerie, but checked it out before I offered it.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Shee-it. Y'all know me better than that.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Quote:

I thought these young salmon were smelt.

Edit 2: "TEd's Wife"!? Peggy, was that you? Hel-LO!

They are smelt only after they're dead.

And that was indeed Peggy. I forgot I'd sent Elizabeth a definition and I was staring at the screen when Peggy walked by and said, "Try this."

TEd
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I'm honored to trade votes with you, Father Steve.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I'm honored to trade votes with you, Father Steve

That's funny how that worked out, innit, what with us both being so witty and educated and literate and all?

enthusiast
enthusiast
Thanks for a good game Elizabeth.
At least they get f**ked

Speaking of honor - or things, (like my most recient def.) that smell bad,
my mother used to say, Imitation is the highest form of flattery.
Quote:

Barghest Musick, wofahulicodoc and Father Steve saluted Owlbow’s (d) “ heraldic term from 15th century Netherlands” earning the Owl 3 points.

Quote:

e. A mythic fish-like creature, common in heraldic designs from mediaeval Provençal. (sjmaxq) AnnaStrophic, Faldage

But, despite Fiberbabe’s vote:
Quote:

I'm'unna say G because that's just crazy talk. Fiberbabe

( I thank you for your vote, Fiberbabe. I probably would have voted for your def. if you had submitted a crazy enough one)
Quote:

g. A product derived from a glycoprotein found the jelly mass of frogs' eggs. Blended at moderately high temperatures with metallic oxides, it was formerly used in the manufacture of an acrylic-like painting medium (Owlbow) Fiberbabe

I’ll bet nobody will use my frogs’ egg idea any time soon.

After I wrote it, I just couldn’t abandon it for anything sane or potentially believable.
I’m gonna try it out with some copper oxides in the upcoming frog egg season.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I was highly impressed the minute I saw the word glycoprotein, Owly! :-) Gee, one would almost think you know stuff about biology or chemistry or somethin'...

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 302 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith