Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
I
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I
The Canadian geese that over-winter all over New York State are, I think, migratory. But they've discovered lawns, which seem to provide habitat without bother, and so they settle in. Maybe they've just shortened their route of migration?

Yes, blackbirds. There were huge flocks of them where I went to college, not too far from here. Beautiful and unsettling. I remember particularly the calls of their thousands abruptly ending as I walked past the old oak perch, the clatter replaced by woosh of wings. Unfortunately, I only noticed their mad circling, shifting ink on grey winter skies, and no sun to follow.

Last edited by inselpeter; 02/05/06 03:09 PM.
T
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
T
Quote:

Yes, blackbirds. There were huge flocks of them where I went to college, not too far from here. Beautiful and unsettling. I remember particularly the calls of their thousands abruptly ending as I walked past the old oak perch, the clatter replaced by woosh of wings. Unfortunately, I only noticed their mad circling, shifting ink on grey winter skies, and no sun to follow.

Keenly observed and poetically said, inselpeter.

But remember that birds see light differently than we humans.
Their vision is thought to operate beyond ours and further in the ultra violet * spectrum of light.
Your grey winter skies might be their romantic sunset.

Last edited by themilum; 02/05/06 05:17 PM.
T
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
T
This morning as I drove though the gloom of a cold driving rain I was surprised to see a wavy band of several hundred birds crossing above the highway and headed due East towards the bedroom community of Inglenook. This group of blackbirds I have labeled the "Boyles bunch". I see this flock of blackbirds more than any other group because my travel schedule neatly coincides with their morning flight.

On clear and warmer days their flights have been more exuberant; forming subgroups and flying in curving sweeps and proforming nifty flips before reconvening as a single moving flock.

The Boyles bunch always fly to the east in the morning to feed in Inglenook. There they feed on the acorns that have been rejected by the fat squirrels who live in the manicured yards of the Inglenookians, who hardly notice the birds intrusion.

Last edited by themilum; 02/07/06 08:11 AM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Two years ago, last Thanksgiving weekend, we were driving back from Pennsylvania and went through Hartford Connecticut on the way home. There were thousands and thousands of crows perched on every possible spot; on light poles, the lower buildings, bridge rails etc. in addition to the ones flying around looking for a spot. I'd never seen so many in one place. It was a bit disorienting to see them in the center of the city, but a wonderful sight. I don't know what was up.
A couple of hours before that, as we were heading East across New Jersey, there were many dozens of very large flocks of Canadian geese heading Northwest. Why, I don't know, but vastly more than I'd ever seen in any sky.
About two hours later, just a mile or so from our home in Westernmost Rhode Island, an owl flew across our path as we drove down the dark, semi-rural road. We think it was a Barred Owl. The best bird day yet.
This past Saturday, as we drove by a section of the Situate Reservoir in Rhode Island, we saw a Bald Eagle [Haliaeetus leucocephalus]. It was a couple of hundred yards out on the ice, and a small crowd was gathered at the spillway to check it out. It had just finished eating, according to one gentleman who had been there for a half hour or so. There were pairs of binoculars in use, including ours. The ID was positive. There have been sightings near there, but not very many and our first.
I don't have a Life List, but I think that this is a good one to start it with.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
on a late evening return trip from Toronto, my friend and I saw geese flocks numbering in the thousands. one flock could still be seen in the air from nearly ten miles distance. it looked like a rip in the sky.

formerly known as etaoin...
T
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
T
Wow! "...a rip in the sky"!
Lucky you, etaoin.

Last edited by themilum; 02/09/06 06:22 PM.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I felt lucky. it was really quite beautiful, and amazing.

formerly known as etaoin...
#154831 02/10/06 07:31 PM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
I love seeing the great migrations of geese. I always feel elated to see them.

I find a lot of solace and peace in the fact that no matter what happens, the geese go and the geese come back.

It seems to put everything in perspective - as you head into dark days, you know that the bright days will come.
Or, if you will, life will go on and tomorrow is a different day.

But maybe that's just me. Hubby kinda rolls his eyes when he sees me looking up at the migrating geese in contentment.

#154832 02/11/06 12:19 PM
T
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
T
Gee Belmar, you put into words the strong feelings of awe that are engendered in most of us as we watch a large flock of geese flying overhead. Truly, as you say, the seasonal movement of geese flying against the backdrop of the open sky is a high moment in life. A special union between ourselves and our world that is instantly seen by all who have souls that can see.

Tell your husband to go build a box.

#154833 02/11/06 01:45 PM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
Nah. Hubby, the very sensible accountant-type always smiles lovingly while he rolls his eyes, not quite understanding why this or that makes me happy, but loving me for the quirkyness anyway, so I think I’ll keep him.

>>> A special union between ourselves and our world that is instantly seen by all who have souls that can see.

Very poetically and beautifully said, Milum. Merci.

Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,316
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 497 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,533
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith