Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
Does the OED or whatever source you're using say why Ucalegon means generally 'a neighbour whose house is on fire' rather than it being the name of a neighbour whose house was on fire?

Bingley
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Quote:

Well, that genuinely is a completely worthless word!

Wull … There was a time about ten, fifteen years ago I could have used it had I but known it.

M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
> had I but known it

nuh-uh, the other feller'd have to have known it too!

addict
addict
Yay! I got me some points at this finally! Thanks for dem votes, y'all. I have to say I'm really pleased I could write something likely enough that it got you guys!

tsuwm Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Quote:

Does the OED or whatever source you're using say why Ucalegon means generally 'a neighbour whose house is on fire' rather than it being the name of a neighbour whose house was on fire?

#667. [Source of danger.] Pitfall
-- N. rocks, reefs, coral reef, sunken rocks, snags; sands, quicksands; syrt|, syrtis|; Goodwin sands, sandy foundation; slippery ground; breakers, shoals, shallows, bank, shelf, flat, lee shore, ironbound coast; rock ahead, breakers ahead. precipice; maelstrom, volcano; ambush &c. 530; pitfall, trapdoor; trap &c. (snare) 545. sword of Damocles; wolf at the door, snake in the grass, death in the pot; latency &c. 526. ugly customer, dangerous person, le chat qui dort; firebrand, hornet's nest.
Phr. latet anquis in herba [Vergil]; proximus ardet Ucalegon [Vergil].
-Roget's Thesaurus

as ASp suggested, it's eponymous, first used specifically by Juvenal and others (see the link in the original post above); and then alluded to a bit more generally. OED has two citations where this is shown:

1849 DE QUINCEY Eng. Mail Coach Wks. 1862 IV. 297 Ucalegon, as it happened, was not in the way-bill and therefore could not have been booked. [under way-bill]

1910 W. G. COLLINGWOOD Dutch Agnes 182 But proximus ardet Ucalegon, which is to say, ‘Don't care's house is afire, and his neighbour is quaking.’ [under neighbo(u)r]

The former doesn't make much sense taken out of context; here's a link to Thomas de Quincey's The English Mail-Coach and Joan of Arc which lends some droll humo(u)r to the passage.

but, to your point, I'd wager that ucalegon, when used, has always been capitalized. oops. well, that could have given away the game, although we would have probably had a bunch of paedia type entries to choose from.

try Google[Books] -- there are 66 works listed with the phrase proximus ardet Ucalegon, some with no further gloss at all; i.e., it is used as a warning. There are 278 (listed) works that contain "ucalegon".

to wit, from Gargantua and Pantagruel:
Cheer up, cried out Pantagruel; cheer up, my boys; let us be ourselves again. Do you see yonder, close by our ship, two barks, three sloops, five ships, eight pinks, four yawls, and six frigates making towards us, sent by the good people of the neighbouring island to our relief? But who is this Ucalegon below, that cries and makes such a sad moan? Were it not that I hold the mast firmly with both my hands, and keep it straighter than two hundred tacklings—I would—It is, said Friar John, that poor devil Panurge, who is troubled with a calf's ague; he quakes for fear when his belly's full.

-joe (SAWH* : ) bfstplk

*Society of Apologists for Wrong-headed Hogmasters

p.s. - In the glossary for 'The Aeneid', it is indicated that the name Ucalegon means "Not caring". (see Collingwood citation?)

enthusiast
enthusiast
‘Glad to help out TEd.
Thanks Jackie and Fiberbabe, and almost thanks to Alex.
Mav, aren’t accolades worth ½ point? (not that I care)
and many thanks to you, tsuwm.

A
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
A
I don't know whether I should be slighted to receive only partial thanks, or grateful for the half-full cup, since I can't imagine what I did to earn any thanks at all in the first place.

enthusiast
enthusiast
You wrote:
Quote:

I'm torn between A and S. "Ucalegon" doesn't strike me as an infinitive verb form, so I'm gonna vote S.

That's what I was talkin' about, 'cause my lie was a.
So I'm offering a wholehearted almost thanks.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Quote:

Marianna was the overwhelming winner with four(4) votes for her k), Line of verse that cues the chorus to intervene in ancient Greek tragedy.

A whole bunch of others collected two(2) votes per ea. (Owlbow(a), Faldage(c), wofa(e), TEd(n), musick(o) , Alex(s))

Elizabeth Creith was the onliest one to deflagrate the correct answer.

themilem voted for hizown(e), once again.

thanx to etaoin for the solitary vote for h).

Dear exalted Schweinmeister,

I feel these results are incomplete. I beg thee for a complete rundown of who did what, and to whom.

Danke beaucoup,

Your Minion

A
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
A

Google image search for ucalegon

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,317
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 583 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,534
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith