Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
B
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
B
can anyone transliterate the pronunciation of "Le lune ne garde aucune rancune" for me?

i can't speak french but this line ("the moon holds no grudges whatsoever") occurs in a poem I have been asked to read in class by my English teacher... Rhapsody on a Windy Night by T. S. Eliot...

I tried a few french language forums but theyre a bit slow in replying and i have to read this thing on wednesday.... i'm trying every forum i can.... ahhhhhh

...thank you so much....

Last edited by Benjamin; 01/29/06 01:53 PM.
B
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
B
ok... another forum has suggested

"Lah lyune nuh gahr-duh oh-kyune rahn-kyune"....

would like a second opinion though...

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
The three us in lune and -cune do not have an equivalent in English. They are technically called high front rounded vowels, and are similar to the German sound ü. You can approximate the sound by pronouncing them like an i (as in Spanish or Italian) but with rounded lips.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
ah Zmj--you remind me of my first French teacher (a nun) who would come by and try to pinch our cheeks. those of us who cowered and cried (when pinch) sometimes got extra points.

she maintained that, if we were doing our homework and practicing prononciation, our cheek muscles would be sore --because we needed to learn, not just words in our heads, but to use new muscles in our faces (cheeks) to make new sounds..
Especially words with R and U.

if we didn't ache from practice, she would make us ache with a good pinch!
(now days, i remember almost no french.. but i think i can still make the U sound of luna (i feel myself using facial muscles that i almost never use!)

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Ah, of troy, to learn French from penguins (aka le manchot). What a treat. On a sad note, I see that my phonetic grandfather (the advisor of my phonology professor) has shuffled off this mortal coil. I never got to meet him, but heard plenty of stories from my professor, and another of his students with whom I worked for a number of years.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
B
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
B

I found this...

How to Pronounce the French "U"

1. Open your mouth.
2. Say O.
3. Draw out the O until your lips are where they would be to make a W sound.
4. Purse your lips as tightly as you can.
5. Keeping your lips pursed, say E.
6. Voilą the French U!

B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
Oh my god, that works perfectly well Benjamin. The sound is the same.

I was trying to figure out how to explain it to you, the way we say it with the tongue and lip placement, it but if you follow your explanation, it sounds the same.

(though when we say it, because of the way our tongue is placed, the lips are not so much pinched as ever so slightly puckered as in to give a gentle kiss)

M
addict
addict
M
My opinion (which of course doesn't count) is that he's probably going to sound rather silly pronouncing one vowel in exacting French "accent" while ignoring the rest of the sounds.
It may come off very like the newscasters who pronounce foreign names very exageratedly - "I am reporting from NEEcaaar-r-r-r-raghghghhoooaa today."

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I think that the rest of the sounds in French are not necessarily so different from English pronunciation.

(edited for tone)

Last edited by etaoin; 01/30/06 04:36 PM.
E
addict
addict
E
Agreed, eta - although I'd shorten the "gar-duh" a bit - instead of a whole syllable, just a really emphasized "D" sound, more like gar-de.
There's a big difference between "la lune" and "la loon" - oh-oh, I hear "luney/looney" jokes coming......

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 302 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith