About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
It ended up a three-way tie, with C-firn, the correct definition, O-firn, and Q-firn each getting votes.

Alex and I were the perpetrators of the Q-firn and O-firn, respectively. Not certain what attracted the three votes for Alex's entry, but I hope that one or more of the votes for my throw-in were because people remembered that I had twice before used woodworking terms for the real word, based things I found in pursuing my hobby.

I hereby award an extra point to Faldage, since, as I told him in a PM, that was the definition I'd have fallen for had I been playing rather than being hogmaster. And I deduct from max's one point, based upon his statement to me in a PM at the time he voted:

My definition was something of an homage to this round's hogmaster, as it happens. The wind in question is very real, and is called the foehn, which, when said in Zild is phonetically indistinguishable from "firn."

I deduct the point not for alluding to what a bag of hot air I am, because that happens to be at least partially true, but for having made the error of thinking that foehn is phonetically indistinguishable from firn. For the correct pronunciation of firn, which is unpronounceable, I refer the committed reader to Steve Martin, who has come out of the Clouseau. I am certainly hopeful that Mr. Martin will do justice to the pronunciation mispronounced by the immortal Peter Sellers in the original movie back some 40-plus years ago.

The details follow:

A. the area used as the hearth in Pueblo cliff dwellings. submitted by Whitman O’Neill, garnered a vote from Bingley

B. The residue of underbrush and debris left after clear-felling of stands of pine trees submitted by Maverick, voted for by etaoin

C. Snow more than a year old on a glacier Correct definition, voted for by WhitmanO’Neill, tsuwm, Jackie,

D. a small. lightly-armed party sent out to scout or hunt for a larger armed force submitted by Elizabeth Creith

E. center seam of the underbelly of a boat which supports the long. stabilizing fin on sailing vessels submitted by musick

F. bright green growth that appears on conifers in the spring submitted by dxb, voted for by Father Steve

G The arch shaped poles that form the framework of an Iroquois longhouse roof submitted by owlbow, voted for by Musick

H. outer edges of a heath where wildflowers grow submitted by Annastrophic, voted for by themilum

I. A person's leg submitted by Marianna

J. quick electronic surveillance by US presidents to prevent suprise foreign attack.
Fast Investigations of Renegade Nations. (FIRN) submitted by themilum

K a gently rolling Scottish hillside. covered with low brushsubmitted by wofahulicodoc

L. A small sheath knife submitted by faldage, voted for by Alex Williams

M. A bog submitted by Jackie, voted for by Faldage

N. Scottish variant of the verb "to frown." submitted by Father Steve

O. Wooden peg for holding a tenon in a mortice submitted by TEd, voted for by wofahulicodoc, Marianna, and consuelo

P. Hot. dry. highly-ionised northwester. common in summer along the South Island's East Coast submitted by maxqnz, voted for by Maverick

Q. A drystone enclosure, roughly circular in shape, typically sited on a natural or artifical mound submitted by Alex Williams, voted for by Elizabeth Creith., sjmaxq, Logwood,

R. A scenic turnout counsuelo

TEd
#153846 01/16/06 02:39 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
TEd, clean the mud off your glasses. You put a vowel in my mouth

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I dunno, Sweetie--seems pretty appropriate to me!

Edit: oops--didn't at first realize you'd put a link in; sorry. I thought you were referring to his spelling of your name.

A
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
A
Quote:

TEd, clean the mud off your glasses. You put a vowel in my mouth

Consuelo how did you make a link to a specific comment rather than a whole thread? Just curious.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Now that you mention it, he snuck an extra vowel in my name [tsk, tsk] TEd's having multiple vowel movements.

Alex, I entered the thread and clicked on "Threaded", as opposed to "Flat", then I clicked on my post and copied the URL. Easy as pi.

Last edited by consuelo; 01/16/06 03:44 AM.
A
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
A
Consuelo: nevermind, I figured it out. But thanks for the inspiration (and the vote).

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I knew you'd get it, Alex, but you posted so fast, I didn't have time to finish my edit first. You're welcome.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
TEd, you forgot to mention that firn is one of our 137 words for snow.
-joe (intuit) friday

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I never expect justice or fairness when playing Hogwash, but certainly don't expect rank hypocrisy from an arch-prescriptivist. Nevertheless, that's what I got:
Quote:

My definition was something of an homage to this round's hogmaster, as it happens. The wind in question is very real, and is called the foehn, which, when said in Zild is phonetically indistinguishable from "firn."

I deduct the point not for alluding to what a bag of hot air I am, because that happens to be at least partially true, but for having made the error of thinking that foehn is phonetically indistinguishable from firn

e.a.

The Hogmaster completely ignored the fact that I defined the parameters of my statement about the sound of "firn". Unless he is asserting greater knowledge of Zildian phonics than that possessed by me, this is nothing less than another example of egregious abuse of power, perpetrated against the inevitable victim of such. Either that, or the Hogmaster should reacquaint himself with the meaning of the phrase "non-rhotic".

Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
I didn't pull no rank. And you spelled Zildian firnics wrong; trying to pull an old snow job on us I 'spect. And what's the sense of having power if you don't abuse it.

As to the voting.

The first paragraph of the first post above IATR:

Alex Williams captured a firm first place, with four votes, followed by the real definition, C-firn, which got three. TEd (TP) Remington came in third, wiping up the rear.

TEd
enthusiast
enthusiast
Haha... the word I thought I caught was "complicated"... which is why I voted for Q-firn, because it's the only (fake) definition that seem complicated enough...

HOWEVER, I actually mistook "compacted" for "complicated"...

"partially compacted granular snow that is the intermediate stage between snow and glacial ice. Firn is found under the snow that accumulates at the head of a glacier. It is formed under the pressure of overlying snow by the processes of compaction, recrystallization, localized melting, and the crushing of individual snowflakes. This process is..."

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
wiping up the compacted rear. Oh, dear...

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Quote:

TEd (TP) Remington came in third, wiping up the rear.

Unless your system of numbering is different to that used elsewhere, your three points is significantly more than yhe zero your caprice left me with. That would me mean that it was I left wiping up the rear, not you.

Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
I meant the rear of the win, place, show series, Max; at the time I typed that I wondered who'd be the first to catch it.

edit:

And it weren't caprice--it were whimself.

Last edited by TEd Remington; 01/17/06 10:11 AM.

TEd
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Quote:

And it weren't caprice--it were whimself.

Indeed. Thanks for teaching me not waste time and effort trying to make a genuine gesture of appreciation. It's like they said of the exquisitely polite assassins who killed James.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Man, you mean I askually got the correct definition for once! Eee-gads!

Last edited by WhitmanO'Neill; 01/19/06 04:54 PM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,317
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 759 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,534
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith