Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
#15379 01/14/01 09:43 PM
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
To dear jmh...
Even though it is illegal, many college students obtain and consume alcoholic beverages. If the police arrive on the scene (noisy party complaint?) the underage drinkers could be arrested for illegal possession of an alcoholic beverage, a misdemeanor generally carrying just a fine.
As to weddings: they are private parties for the most part in USA and I think there is something about "married persons" being legal adults but whether or not it applies to "drinking" I dunno.
For heaven's sake ... don't tell me there isn't there a Board contributor who has an attorney Mom or Dad?
Is there a lawyer in the house?
wow

#15380 01/14/01 09:57 PM
J
jmh Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
J
>Even though it is illegal, many college students obtain and consume alcoholic beverages. If the police arrive...

I suppose that I was being flippant (although I really am not sure that I could have got through without alcohol). I'm sure that some of the things that I think are perfectly acceptable will seem strange to others. I think that the whole structure of student social life when I was a student revolved around "going down the pub". It may have just been for an hour from 10pm until closing time at 11pm and rarely involved drunken behaviour or it could have been for an hour or so after lectures in the Students Union bar. It seems strange that we could have been looking over our shoulders in case there was a police raid in the same way as if we'd been dealing in Class A drugs.

I think that the "pub" is a rather different place here than a bar in America. In most of the places where I have lived we regularly take the children for lunch in the pub, I don't remember being worried about the effect it may be having on their moral fibre.

#15381 01/16/01 07:52 AM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
In reply to:

how different languages form acronyms - any experience people have in other languages with this?

This is a very productive method of word formation in Indonesian. I've mentioned warnet (warung internet internet kiosk) before. Most provinces and some smaller administrative districts have official acronyms: I live in Jaksel (Jakarta Selatan = South Jakarta, and work in Jakpus (Jakarta Pusat = Central Jakarta). Batagor = bakso dan tahu goreng (fried meat or fish balls and tofu) is a popular snack.

Initialisms are also popular, such as the slang term ABG anak baru gede newly big child = someone in their late teens.

Bureaucrats love them. I sometimes think they must spend half their time dreaming up acronymic titles for themselves, such as Kakanwil Kepala kantor wilayah = head of regional office.

Numbers can also be used in initialisms, e.g., P4D Panitia Penyelesaian Perselisihan Perburuhan Daerah Local Committee for the Resolution of Labour Disputes (or as Enigma would have it: Panned peony Persephone perceivable Daffodil (and they said poetry was dead!)).

Bingley

Bingley
#15382 01/16/01 04:47 PM
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
<Settling powdered wig firmly on head and adjusting robe in preparation for lecture>

With the repeal of national prohibition, the United States Constitution was amended to provide that the "transportation or importation into any State, Territory, or possession of the United States for delivery or use therein of intoxicating liquors, in violation of the laws thereof, is hereby prohibited." US Const, Am XXI.

This provision was included in the repeal of prohibition to afford independent authority to the various states to regulate the production and use of alcohol. Because the authority is specified in the federal constitution, it exists on equal footing with other constitutional provisions and is not easily limited. The resultant laws vary not only from state to state, but in some places, from county to county or city to city.

In Michigan, which is one of 18 states known as "control" states, the manufacture, sale and consumption of alcohol is closely controlled, and every bottle which comes into the state is wholesaled by the state and is highly taxed. The legal drinking age is 21, with limited exceptions, such as certain educational and religious uses. MCL 436.33b(13).

It matters not to the policymakers that persons who are regarded as too young to responsibly consume alcohol are legally old enough to serve in the military, marry, contract, be employed, or otherwise go about their adult lives; the regulation of alcohol generates revenue. There is a good argument to be made that strict controls only make alcohol an object of desire and its use a right of passage, and, consequently, render our teens alcohol abusers. But, the standard for strict control of alcohol was established by the cultural descendents of Puritans, and that cultural standard combines with the monetary interests of the states to perpetuate the situation.

I prefer a more sensible approach. Recently, when my three-year-old son kept trying to help himself to a glass of Chardonnay my husband was drinking, I poured some in a separate cup for him and let him have a sip. He took one taste, his whole body shuddered, and he walked over and dumped the contents of the cup down the drain. And that will be the last time he thinks alcohol is the thing for quite some time.

#15383 01/16/01 04:52 PM
H
Hyla Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
H
IITYWYBMAD is the acronym for this thread.

Two questions about this:

1. Whatever does it mean? I'm just back from a long weekend, and the synapses are occasionally shooting off a random spark, but certainly not firing sufficiently to work this out.

2. If it is indeed an acronym, how does one pronounce it?

#15384 01/16/01 04:54 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
If I tell you will you buy me a drink?

#15385 01/16/01 04:59 PM
H
Hyla Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
H
If I tell you will you buy me a drink?

Ouch! I had actually already read the answer, and still didn't get it. Better send them synapses in for a complete overhaul.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
>It matters not to the policymakers that persons who are regarded as too young to responsibly consume alcohol are legally old enough to ....

But, Sparteye, the policymakers here in the US are (and always have been) the people themselves. If they felt strongly enough about it, they could elect legislators who would change the legal drinking age to 7. Or to 150, which is basically what happened with the Great Experiment, as I believe it was caused.

Who was it that said a Baptist was a person who was terrified that somewhere, somehow, there just might be someone who was having fun???

TEd
#15387 01/16/01 06:27 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
A lot of people disregard many laws daily, for they know well "the spirit of the law" has not been broken. One's ability to make this "judgement" has become the issue, yet, those that did it for "us" aren't around anymore to see what is left of that spirit. That's why "created equal" is again (and again and again and...) in question.

I've got a "new" word for "us" to ponder.

CLASSHOLE

Jackie - I'm having a day off - - - really

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
But, Sparteye, the policymakers here in the US are (and always have been) the people themselves. If they felt strongly enough about it, they could elect legislators who would change the legal drinking age to 7. Or to 150, which is basically what happened with the Great Experiment, as I believe it was caused.

Those civics classes weren't wasted on you, were they? I just love to see a true believer in action!

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 444 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith