Hogmaster said, "Those two are gifted."

Eskimo swingers and mutant yaks
Could not cover up Truth's tracks
"Alack! Alas!" Hogmaster sighs
"Again I ask, who are those guys?"

With much dismay Hogmaster spied
That Occam's shovel was applied
By Maverick and the Marshall Tsuwm
So Hogmaster leapt (they'd not dare pursue 'im)

From high atop the mountain walls.
And as like a thunderbolt he falls
Oh "shiiiiii..." he cries and hits the water,
Absconds with Katherine Ross's daughter

(In sepia prints perhaps youve seen her),
Seeks life anew in Argentina,
"This game," he says, "I did not win
But soon the hog we'll wash again!"

a) Jaundice (from Arabic yarqaan) created by sjmaxq voted for by consuelo

b) Dried buffalo dung created by WhitmanO'Neill

c) A shaman in training. From the Tungus yoraq, son-in-law created by Faldage voted for by AnnaStrophic and Elizabeth Creith

d) Anglicized from the Bedouin "uareg"; desert terrain where the wind moves shallow dunes across rock created by Elizabeth Creith voted for by etaoin & themilum

e) A cross between a Camel and a Yak, these herbivores are known for their ability to make sounds that can be understood by most birds created by musick

f) A simple yet strong traditional tent structure, made from horse skin, used as housing by the nomadic peoples of the Mongolian steppes created by maverick voted for by WhitmanO'Neill

g) The hood of a waterproof insulated jacket created by Father Steve voted for by sjmaxq and wofahulicodoc

h) A tent made of tanned goat skins and dried dung used as shelter by many nomadic North African tribes created by AnnaStrophic voted for by Logwood

i) From Bhutani yarkh'u, a broad track or path, hewed into the rock, that skirts an almost vertical mountainside created by Marianna voted for by Father Steve

j) The song sung by the groom at a traditional Turkish wedding. The first verse extols the beauty of the bride. The second and third verses are fierce demands for lifelong fidelity, and describe possible penalties of banishment or death for transgression. created by Owlbow voted for by Marianna

k) Aleut kayak with a flat stern for fitting an outboard motor created by TEd Remington

l) Inuit term for the custom of loaning one's mate to a guest created by consuelo voted for by Owlbow

m) A falconry term describing a hawk in prime condition for hunting (DEFINITION) correctly identified by maverick and tsuwm

n) A rare Armenian kirtle. See Kimono: a rare Asian yarak. created by themilum

o) A fish found in the Persian Gulf the flesh of which is popularly believed to have curative powers created by Bingleyvoted for by Faldage

p) Cultured goats' milk, consumed in remoter regions of the Himalayas created by wofahulicodoc voted for by TEd Remington and musick

Last edited by Alex Williams; 12/27/05 03:08 PM.
#152730 12/27/05 03:36 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Yikes! At least this time I remembered to swallow my coffee before clicking.

Fantastic job, Alex. Truly inspired.Your poetic creativity/humor know no bounds.

>>Occam's shovel

>>Tsuwm & pursue 'im

And a special high-five to maverick whose great mind resembles mine (ooooh, thanks for the vote of confidence, Logwood).

#152731 12/27/05 04:38 PM
enthusiast
enthusiast
Haha, fooled me you did! Father Steve voted to what I thought he made up, how ironic is that?

Well, I said I wouldn't be surprised if Maverick is correct didn't I? good one! thanks Alex, you're a master of your craft!

#152732 12/27/05 11:29 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Quote:

Yarak Keeps Falling On My Head
(With apologies to Tennyson)

I wonder how mav would have applied his armil rule if he had known that yarak is from Persian.

#152733 12/28/05 12:07 AM
A
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
A
Yes but few dictionaries would mention it directly in a defintion. BTW after initiating this round I learned that yarak is also a vulgar Turkish slang word for "penis."

#152734 12/28/05 12:27 AM
T
veteran
veteran
T
Quote:

Quote:

Yarak Keeps Falling On My Head
(With apologies to Tennyson)

I wonder how mav would have applied his armil rule if he had known that yarak is from Persian.

Yeah, Faldage, I also wonder if "yarak" even had a legitimate definition before two of the Hogmaster's well-situated good buddies insinuated the falcon story on us; co-incidently it was a definition that their goodbuddy Alex Hogmaster could rhyme.

Meanwhile I haven't recieved a single point for the last three games, although no doubt I've offered some pretty good definitions to the game. One would think that this time I would have at least won the "nice try" award since my definition initialized the palindrome "yarakskaray". Pretty good, huh faldage?

Back when you were never Hogmaster I bet you would have given me a couple or three of your discretionary points for cleverness, wouldn't you Faldage?

You are a good man, Faldage.

Last edited by themilum; 12/28/05 12:37 AM.
#152735 12/28/05 10:38 AM
A
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
A
Quote:

Yeah, Faldage, I also wonder if "yarak" even had a legitimate definition before two of the Hogmaster's well-situated good buddies insinuated the falcon story on us; co-incidently it was a definition that their goodbuddy Alex Hogmaster could rhyme.

Okay, I admit it: "yarak" is actually just a phony word created by supercomputers at the Diebold Corporation.

#152736 12/28/05 10:43 AM
enthusiast
enthusiast
My dictionaries mark that "yarak" is vulgar for "penis" in Turkish. I kid you not!

#152737 12/28/05 11:40 AM
A
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
A
You don't say? chop chop chop chop chop

#152738 12/28/05 01:05 PM
enthusiast
enthusiast
This round was well worth the 60-mile workday commute just to futz around in the pigpen.
Thank you very much Alex Lord Williams.
I’m almost ashamed to have fooled such a nice person as you Marianna, but I'm grateful for the vote.
I still think Consuelo's definition is the overall winner,
but I should have guessed that the bird one was correct.
Do I get a half point from the Diebold computers for using, the word "Turkish", in my definition which describes an unseemly, if not blatantly vulgar, imaginary point of view?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 302 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith