Wordsmith Talk

About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
M
heyyy...just checked this thread today...wow!! am i glad...i jsut got my first job ..n am so happpyy...ok so i am working in an insurance company here in india as an underwriter...which basically means that i am responsible for the issuance of policies n the premium rating..its a nice job but a lot of work to do...
newayz something is better than nothing...byee..have fun all of you..KITS..

addict
addict
Quote:

Do you enjoy your job? Do you find it enriching/interesting/monotonous? do you feel like you would enjoy doing something else more?

Well, previous jobs in my case are not too exciting, I suppose: librarian, university residence supervisor, travel agent, English language teacher...

At the moment, aptly, I teach English-Spanish translation at university. I do enjoy my work; I find interaction with the students generally interesting, often educational, and always refreshing. On the side, I have time to practice what I preach and translate some scientific texts. At the moment, this is what works for me, and I'm happy doing it. Could I be doing something else? Probably, and when I find myself thinking that I should be doing that something else, I think I'll owe it to myself to find the way to do it.

Logwood: As to becoming a translator, my only piece of advice would be to think whether you are more of a team player or an "individual" one. Translation, even in translation agencies and offices, is basically you, your text, and your translation aids.

It might be useful perhaps to look into taking a short course in translation at some translator training institution. I'm not saying to do a complete degree, but something that will give you a taste of what it's like and will offer more variety than you might get if you start right off with an agency. That could help you decide if it's for you.

Best of luck!

E
addict
addict
E
Quote:

the chocolate chips and the rabbit droppings are cunningly intermingled.

A+

Oh, yeah! One for the commonplace book!

M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
Glad you liked it – I was just reaching for a way to communicate the sometimes bewildering sense of frustration and conversely encouragement that each day’s surprises can bring!

By the way Logwood, I keep meaning to ask – where does the word futz come from? I didn’t need to ask for clarity’s sake, since the meaning was clear enough – but it’s a great sounding word. It sounds almost like a cross between putz and some kinda word beginning with fu… Can you or anyone else tell me more?

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Quote:

I keep meaning to ask – where does the word futz come from? I didn’t need to ask for clarity’s sake, since the meaning was clear enough – but it’s a great sounding word. It sounds almost like a cross between putz and some kinda word beginning with fu… Can you or anyone else tell me more?

Some kinda word beginning with fu… ? Like this?

M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
hah, so it is the obvious blend! I'd suspected some more cunning yiddish etmymology but.

Logwood Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
consuelo, I'm impressed you've gone through all that much. You make me feel spoiled.

of troy, knitting? ...and I thought you're a male all this time.

Homo, you outta be a Ultra-fast typer by now eh?

Elizabeth, the "wolf" analogy came natural to you, right? I can't imagine being around pets that long! glad you do something you like though.

maverick, you've worked with Oprah?
Don't you find it frustrating to not have a permanent place? ... mayhap you're a Buddhist?

Marianna... how I envy you. I can certainly imagine how you enjoy your work. I hope to teach Hebrew-English translation one day. As a matter a fact, I've already taken first steps. I have a meeting for a translation college course this thursday, so I'll keep posted for anyone who cares.

Oh, and I didn't knew the origin of futz, but nice guess there! I came across this word in "Escape from Monkey Island", same game-series of which my avatar is taken. I think you guys may like it...

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M-w sez: "part translation of Yiddish arumfartsn zikh, literally, to fart around."

M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
Quote:

maverick, you've worked with Oprah?
Don't you find it frustrating to not have a permanent place? ... mayhap you're a Buddhist?

heh! nah, Oprah's a two-bit nobody

Permanent place? No, I think the idea of permanence has always been a fond illusion, and one less tenable with every day's process towards a world economy. Yes, Buddhism... a religion without a god sounds about right for this old lag...

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Quote:

Quote:

sounds about right for this old lag...

You've been a guest of HM? How was the porridge?

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 442 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith